Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yong Tau Foo and Chee Cheong Fun, Jalan Kancil, Pudu

I was at Pudu area rather early with Jessica and boss..
Jessica used to work in this area and she suggested to have breakfast at this old school stall that has been serving an array of 'chinese economy breakfast' (keng jai) for years..
Jessica was real quick with her selection...Her plate was filled with YFT, CCF and curry sauce. She looks so satisfied eating this dish, she said she missed eating it since she moved office..
I had a selection of YTF to go with my plate of CCF too..Alas, I was not as impress as Jessica. The YTF were mostly overfried and dried. The brinjal was too oil. Only the plain CCF was ok with the usual sweet spicy sauce.
Jessica ordered something rather interesting..A type of sweet soup, it boiled papaya and pumpkin thong sui. Not much flavour in the thong sui unless you eat the mild flavoured papaya and pumpkin cubes..
Boss wanted to have the bak chang... Looks good with quite a lot of filling..but came out rather tasteless. Think they have forgotten the salt.
The steamed yam cake fared much better..Quite smooth and had bits of dried shrimps in it; though lacking oomph. If you are on who prefers chunks of yam in it, then this will not be your choice.
I spotted something that i have not eaten for over 15 years..
The sweet chinese pancake..A simple pancake with sugar, flour and eggs, I used to have lots of it when I was a kid..One bit and it brought back such wonderful memories. It was quite nice, but boss said it's not fragrant enough.
Overall, I find the food very mediocre; I guess it's a place for quick brekkie..don't expect much on quality.
This YTF and Chee Cheong Fun stall(and a whole load of other chinese breakfast food) is located at Jalan Kancil (corner), off Jalan Pudu. Drive along Jalan Pudu, turn to the small lane on your left just before Maybank (maybank is on your left). Very near to Tong Kee eggtarts shop.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Shell (貝殼) said...

i like sweet chinese pancake^^
but i dun know where can get tis:(

13 October, 2008  
Blogger choi yen said...

Remind me that I long time didn't cook this pancake~~ Must cook it soon ;)

13 October, 2008  
Blogger wmw said...

I thought I heard "Chee Cheong Fun" somewhere out there in cyberspace. Came from you :o) But too bad, you're not impressed.

13 October, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

shell: i guess we have to DIY? since this was the only place i've seen so far serving it..

mimid3vils: yes, cook and some for me please? :p

wmw: woah, the powers of cyberspace eh? hehe

13 October, 2008  
Blogger Christina Kim said...

Yeah...KL is the one which serves YTF with CCF:)
I thought that was sweet potato soup but it's really a different twist too...haha, although I don't really like papaya and pumpkin though...:P

Sorry for being ignorant...aiks, I don't know about sweet chinese pancake:P
It looks like roti canai to me hehehe:)

14 October, 2008  
Blogger PureGlutton said...

I love CCF too... it must be the ipoh upbringing, hehe! But too bad this one here was not good enough.

14 October, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

christy: you should try the chinese pancake..very nice :)

pureglutton: yeah, quite disappointing :(

15 October, 2008  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

Boiled papaya and pumpkin thong sui? My first time hearing this.

Aiyo, just realise I'm way behind in my posting. Noted your Wales post is already err 4 posts away. Jialat me.

15 October, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home