Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ipoh Road Yong Tow Foo, PJ

I was thrilled when I drove pass a row of shops at Kelana Jaya and noticed that Ipoh Road YTF had just opened a branch in PJ recently. Alas, with my absent mind; I soon forgotten about this place for a few months...
Until I met Jane, who stays around there; and we decided to pop over after all. It was rather pack when we reached; but we were quickly seated and ordering was prompt..
Waited for a while for our food to be served..
We ordered some stuffed white tow foo (YTF RM0.90 per piece). Visually appealing; guess it stops there? The tow foo was quite smooth, but everything else was bland. The stuffing and the sauce was tasteless. I was disappointed.
We got our assorted YTF next..
Stuffed brinjal is a must for me...The rest were merely sidekicks..heheThis was quite nice, the brinjal was not too mushy nor too oily. Again, the stuffing was rather bland. The rest of the YTF were also mediocre.The sauce in this plate seems thicker; maybe they thickened it with cornstarch..
Some fried foo chook (bean curd roll) and fried sui kow (dumpling).. I think the main branch in Jalan Ipoh serves a much better version..The foo chook here was salty while the sui kow was average (didnt like the fact that I got a unsealed sui kow :( )
The soup sui kow didnt fare that well either.. The sui kow was average though the fishballs were quite good, had a nice bounce to it; but the soup tasted like boiled "flour water". Guess they didnt really make any soup? What I got was just the water used to boil the sui kow and fishballs added with some pepper and vegs?
We ended our meal with paper wrapped chicken (RM3)..This was better; the chicken was juicy and the sauce was flavourful. Pretty good, though I would have preferred the Balakong paper wrapped chicken anytime..
So, would I be eager to return to this place for another meal?
No.
But I would still try it one more time in the future; maybe, just maybe, the chef have forgotten about the salt just for today.
Ipoh Road YTF (PJ Branch) is located at No 1, Jalan SS40/2, People's Park, 47301 Petaling Jaya. From Kelana Jaya LRT station (station on your left), drive down the road for about 200 m. You'll see a row of shops on your left, the YTF shop is at the left corner.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Precious Pea said...

90 sen per piece?? Actually how much they normally charge per piece? I tot all along 60 sen and probably gone up to 70 sen. But 90 sen? I think next time i go eat, must start asking for the price instead of 'this one 3, that one 2 and that one 4'.

13 January, 2008  
Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

I think YTF went up to 80sen a piece at serdang village which taste so-so. I stiff prefer ampang 70sen a piece!

13 January, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

pea: i cant recall how much the main branch charges..thereabouts i guess. think the norm shud be between 70 to 80 sen..

bigboysoven: inflation is killing us eh? haha. i think my fave stall in my hometown still sells at 30 sen..but very tiny pieces..

13 January, 2008  
Blogger Hazza said...

your description of the soup as boiled water with salt and pepper was funny! guess this is a place to avoid in future!

14 January, 2008  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i still love the jln ipoh..quick and lethal..no mess..just ned to pay only haha

14 January, 2008  
Blogger HairyBerry said...

wayyyy before achieving superstardom, they served rather good ytf. these days, i find the ytf rather bland. the fishpaste was also not as authentic as before. but their portions are quite huge, i must say.

14 January, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I prefer the Leong Nga family's ones better! :P

14 January, 2008  
Blogger Jason said...

I saw this place last Saturday when I took bus to Ikano from KJ station and I think their logo looks familiar.

14 January, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh..!! yong tau fu..! i sure missed them..!

14 January, 2008  
Blogger wmw said...

I just want Chee Cheong Fun!!!!

14 January, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

hazza: welcome! i may just try it again coz the main branch (at jalan ipoh) was pretty good. just not so soon..

joe: comparing this to the HQ, the main branch is definitely better..

nic: long time ago, i was not in KL yet..:p so i cant compare..for now, YHK ytf at pudu is my fave..

tankiasu: Di mana Leong Nga tankiasu??

jason: maybe you tried the main branch at Jln ipoh before?

crunchasarus: erm, maybe you can try making 'em? ;p

wmw: me too!!..but they dont serve it there..haha

14 January, 2008  
Blogger teckiee said...

ahhh another reason to tell my dad not to eat there. i live very very near there and my dad keep bugging us to try it out

15 January, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

teckiee: but if you ever do try (your dad managed to convince you ;p), do let me know if it's ok or bland..am wondering if it's just that day..or everyday it's bland...

15 January, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home