Thursday, May 31, 2007

Gurney drive hawker food, Penang

Yes, the extremely famous Gurney drive hawkers..
So famous that I dont think I should write about it..
But then again, my camera's with me, my friends are willingly posing the food for me, so, heck, why not? For the benefit of those who have never heard of the hawkers here, well, the Gurney drive hawkers serves local hawker food and the number of stalls there are just amazing! The choices are abundant, but most of the stall's food are just average.
The only food that I crave for when it comes to this place would be the muar chee.. This stall serves one of the best muar chee ( steamed glutinous rice topped with crushed roasted peanuts, sugar, sesame) that I have ever tasted. The steamed glutinous rice are warm and melt-in-your-mouth sort, the peanuts and sugar gives a good crunchy bite to it, while the sesame and fried shallots adds in a lil savoury aftertaste. yumz..
Since I'm already there, might as well eat other stuff too right? ;p..
Hence started my look for the longest-queue-waiting-at-the-stall hunt...
This stall gotta be the winner..Serving all the fried stuff (with some lobak food), the hottest and popular hot seller here is the deep fried chicken skin and fried squids. Didnt try the skin, but we had some squids and some mixture of fried stuff. Was just ordinary, nothing to shout about..
We felt like having rojak so we bought from one of the many rojak stalls there... This one was way too diluted and plain..yicky...
Then I noticed a stall selling pork satay and pork intestine satay. Since I hardly see that in KL, decided to try it too..
2 caucasian walked pass while I was waiting for my orders..
OMG, they eat skewered intestines? They Eat that?
And looked at me as though I'm a freak.. geez, this is no fear factor mate... The pork satay was juicy and sweet. Pretty delicious. As for the intestine, the exterior was slightly crunchy while juicy and chewy on the inside. Quite good, though not as good as those in Muar. Would have tasted better if the kuah satay was tastier..
I've forgotten to take a picture of the grilled cuttlefish we had. That was yummy as it was crunchy and pungent at the same time. Lovely. Do try that.
I didnt take the pictures of the stalls I bought these hawker food from, hope a rough sketch of the map/stalls ( based on my rusty memory) helps? So is there a particular stall you go for at Gurney? Any stall that I should have tried?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger wmw said...

Mmm....never ending good food in Penang, hor? ;o)

31 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

hahaha wmw, when it comes to penang my itinerary is always eat, eat and eat! ;p

01 June, 2007  
Blogger MeiyeN said...

yes, yes... i wanna come here next month for dinner...:D

01 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

no doubt there's lots of food in gurney hawker, but many's just so so. remember to eat the muar chee and grilled cuttlefish though :)

01 June, 2007  
Blogger Xiu Long Bao said...

yumm...muar chee! I always go for that muar chee stall, run by an apek rite?

01 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

yup xiulongbao, the apek with the one and only yummy muar chee..hehehe

01 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penang food .... how often do I get to taste it ? Not very often ... unless I drive down to Penang to eat. .. on purpose. Hmm.. maybe I should just do that.

01 June, 2007  
Blogger tankiasu said...

Muar got nice pork satay meh?! I'm going to Muar tomorrow u know. Where is it?!?!?

01 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been to Gurney drive hawkers once and had 2 bowls of laksa! Must hav gotten crazy that time LOL

01 June, 2007  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i will always remember that time i had that stomach bug when i went to penang..goosebumps la when i c penang food..haha =) oh yeah u r in klue june issue..

03 June, 2007  
Blogger Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I normally make an annual trip to Penang just for the food, but somehow, this year it doesn't seem to be happening. Time to do something about it! :-)

03 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

timothy: that's exactly what my friends and i did! hehe

tankiasu: oh dear, hope my reply's not too late? was outstation, just read this..it's right in the city centre, opens for dinner.one row of hawkers, ask the locals there. i recalled enjoying the pork intestines satay, cant remember if there was any pork satay though..

jason: guess we behave like that if we hardly pop over this place ;p

joe: i had food poisoning in PG 3 years ago too..hehe, guess that didnt stop me this time round! i am in klue? oh no, identity revealed! hehe

lyrical lemongrass: wah, every year! i would love to do that too, but seems like mine is more of 2 years once..:(. yes woman, time to visit pg soon! ;p

jackson: welcome! yes, you should, lots of yums in penang :)

04 June, 2007  
Blogger Rasa Malaysia said...

Aiya, you are killing me with all these Penang food...I will have to go back again.

10 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

RM: haha :D it's unintentional ;). well, you can balik kampung again if you want..hehe

11 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home