Thursday, March 15, 2007

Seafood Station, Aman Suria

Eric recommended this place for our lou sang before the CNY ends..Since the dishes we ordered are still available in their norm menu, no harm for me writing about this. We had lou sang to start off the dinner. Not sure if it's due to the fact that our table was very near the kitchen, the owner kept coming to our table and fussing over us. In fact, he was the one saying all the auspcious stuff for us while we toss the lou sang..*scratches head*
We ordered some other recommended dishes such as the Tong Poh pork and kailan stir fried with mui choy (preserved veg). We also ordered the salted egg crabs, prawn in cream sauce and special taufoo.
The kailan was quite fragrant, although I could not taste any mui choy, I could see plenty of it. A tad oily.
Taufoo was plain and boring. Dont be deceived by the pretty colours.The Tong Poh pork was served in a claypot, whole slab of fatty pork look pretty sitting there..hehe. Guess this dish was braised for a few hours, the inside was tender yet moist. Pork was sweet, slathered with the thick gravy, this dish goes well with white rice. The sides of the pork was slightly chewy/ coarse though..Next, we had the prawns in cream sauce. The waitress recommended this, and when I see the dish, it's actually nai yau (butter&milk) sauce. Seafood station's version paled in comparison to Wong Poh's (just down the road) version and the fish pond restaurant's(cant remember the restaurant's name). Something was just missing from this dish, cant pinpoint it. The gravy was rather diluted, may be due to the tomatoes they added..
Still feeling the dishes were average, I started wondering why Eric recommended this place.. Could it be the VIP discount card he had? And, I finally know why, when the crabs were serve..This must be one of the better salted egg crab I have tasted. Sooo, sooo fragrant, I really want to go to the kitchen and give the cook a pat on his back ;p. Crunchy fragrant salted egg clinging to the shells, fresh sweet flesh.. time to get my fingers dirty! I truly enjoyed this dish.
Once we have finished every single morsel of crabs, the waiters promptly cleared the table and served us fresh fruits and some fried taiwanese dessert, which was on the house. The owner claimed that it costs SGD1 per 'nugget', but it's on the house here. He explained that inside this 'golden nugget' is the ling kok (water caltrop or horned water chestnut if i'm not wrong), a nut/fruit offered during chinese prayers, though hardly seen in Msia anymore. Jo found this too sweet for her liking. I, on the other hand, thought it was quite nice( you must eat it while it's hot), coated with bread crumbs and nuts, it's fried till golden brown. Inside, it's creamy and rich, from the custard & taro (i think) paste that wraps the ling kok. Interesting stuff, though the owner said this can be easily found in Taiwan..Total bill was RM193, slightly expensive since it was CNY. Guess it'll be cheaper now?
What Julianne thinks?
Top notch for the crabs, average for the rest.
Seafood Station (previously know as Ocean Palace) is located at H-G-18 Ground Floor, Jalan PJU 1/45, Aman Suria, PJ. It's at Aman Suria area (you can come from Tropicana or if with LDP, turn in at the road where Loong Foong is), turn in from Kayu Nasi Kandar, it's next to Maroon Cafe.
Note: I have also tried their Chilli Crab (should be renamed Sambal actually) which was really good with mantau. Spicy too. I also tried the black pepper&salted egg crabs, which was lip smacking, but I prefer the plain salted egg crabs.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kenny Mah said...

Hmm, since I eat around 5-6 smaller meals a day, I'll prolly hop round there with a friend at nite and just grab the crabs (either salted egg or chilli) with some mantou. Quality, not quantity, right?

Thanks for writing about this, I heard Aman Suria is more happening now compared to a couple years ago, when it was all building up. Time to revisit the place. :)

15 March, 2007  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

Err dun think I've been to Aman Suria area before. What price were d crabs per kg?

15 March, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

kenny: ya agreed, that's wat i did with my fren recently. we ordered 1 chilli crab (min order), mantau & veg.. but if u order salted egg crabs, eat with mantau would be a tad dry coz there's no gravy..
aman suria is quite nice..not the pubbing/clubbing scene, but lots of food (good for gluttons like me..hehe)

tummythoz: RM30/kg (the last i went), but the crabs we had were rather big (heavy shells), so we paid RM50 for 2. Large claws and lots of crab meat though. pop me an email if u want a more detailed directions to aman suria, k?

15 March, 2007  
Blogger Kenny Mah said...

Then I'll order a side dish with lotsa gravy loh... Must try the salted egg version cos not tasted it before. Chilli crab is biasa di... :D

15 March, 2007  
Blogger Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I thought I had found the best salted egg crabs in Green View, PJ. I guess I shall have to try your recommendations to see if my opinion still stands. :-)

15 March, 2007  
Blogger boo_licious said...

How strange, they have changed their name to Seafood Station which is the same as their Spore restaurant. Wonder why?

My friend likes the crabs here but it seems food quality is not very consistent. Not sure but I kinda written them off ever since I ate there when they were called Ocean Palace and everything was too salty.

15 March, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

kenny: else you can always eat the mantau without gravy. I had the fried ones, cute, dainty in size. not sure how d steam ones taste though

lyrical lemongrass: oh, i've never tried the salted egg crabs at Greenview..hmm, must go there and try, then we can compare together gether hehe.

boo: ya, the callcard my fren gave was also called Ocean Palace. Just changed their name recently. But cook and management remains d same. None of the dishes i had were salty that day, infact, the taufoo was bland. guess they need to improve on their QC.

16 March, 2007  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

Thx for the offer. Will definitely take it up soon.

16 March, 2007  
Blogger boo_licious said...

sc - since you stay around this area, why don't you try City Star's salted egg yolks crab? I read kyspeaks who said it's yummy stuff.

19 March, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

boo: really? where's City Star boo? Mind giving some directions? will try to check out ky's post too..thanks

19 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home