Thursday, March 01, 2007

Restoran Bing Kee, KL

My uncle and his family from Melbourne was in Malaysia recently. Obviously they had lots of feasting already as many relatives met up with them and brought them for good malaysian food..Luckily I dont need to crack my head as my cousin suggested Bing Kee for lunch when it was our turn to meet them :p
Bing Kee serves chinese dishes, catering for breakfast till dinner.. Well, breakfast as they serve BKT (bak kut teh) throughout the day. My cousin ordered the dishes and we had BKT, yellow wine chicken, braised pork, assam fish head, taufoo and their speciality, stir fry bitter gourd. The BKT was alright, had the herby taste and all but still cant beat Klang's. Loads of pork in that claypot, fat ones, lean ones, ribs etc all cooked till tender, but very miserly in other condiments such as mushrooms and beancurd skin :(.
The yellow wine chicken was served next.. This would be one of the better yellow wine chicken I have tasted as the cook was very generous with the wine, making this soupy dish very sweet, aromatic and utterly delicious. I cant stop drinking this..hehehe
The stir fry bitter gourd came next with the taufoo (which was ordinary).I must confess, I am never a fan of bitter gourd. In fact, I absolutely hate eating bittergourd when I was a kid. Still, I had to try, since they said this was their house specialty. And by golly I do agree! This was really good, the bittergourd slices was stir fried till really fragrant and the sauce was extremely tasty. I cant figure out the secret in the sauce, but you should try this ;)
I thought the assam fish head was just mediocre..Beautiful colours, lots of fish and veg, would have tasted better if it was a little more sour..
Last but not least, we got the braised pork. Yup, by now we are confirmed as a bunch of carnivores. So much meat! While my aussie cousin was tucking into his third bowl of rice, I mustered what 'stomach strength' I had to try this last dish. Dont let the horrifying big bone deceive you, this dish was actually pretty succulent. I dont know how many hours they have braised this pork, it was really tender and pratically melts off the bones. The dark sauce was thick and gooey, nice to go with rice..yumz...
What Julianne thinks?
Pleasing and stuffed
Restoran Bing Kee is located at 7-6, Jalan Sungai Besi, KL. Tel:03-92215232. Opens 8 am - 10 pm. It's pretty near Sek Yuen, I think just a road away. Sorry cant tell you the cost coz my cousin bought the lunch. ;)
Directions provided by tankiasu : If you are coming on Jln Pudu, from Time Square, then you would see Sek Yuen on your right. Go further straight, you will reach the traffic light junction of Jln Pudu/Jln Pasar/Jln Sg Besi. Turn right into Jln Sg Besi, and after 100 metres, you will see Bing Kee (a cornerlot) on your right. You can turn right there, so you might go abit further to make a U-turn.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger tankiasu said...

Used to eat there almost every Saturday morning when I was young, with my dad and his friends. My old house is just a street away. For BKT, Klang's and the one in Ipoh Rd are still the best. ;-)

01 March, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

ya, the BKT at Bing Kee is just ok, other dishes were pretty good though..haha such coincidence that u used to stay near there..am sure u are jelak of the food there dy..

02 March, 2007  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

This restaurant sounds familiar but somehow my lazy brain just can't place the location. Anymore landmarks or details to point the way?

02 March, 2007  
Blogger boo_licious said...

I love yellow wine chicken so this is a must try. Any other landmarks on how to get here?

02 March, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

oh dear, i was coming frm cheras(which i hardly go and my cousin drove), so I kninda lost my sense of direction :(..all i recalled was we reached Jalan Pudu, there's a left turn before we reach Sek Yuen. Drive straight for a few mins, Bing Kee (corner shop) is on your right ( you would need to U turn). tankiasu, can u help to give a clearer direction? (since yr old house is just a street away?) thanks!

02 March, 2007  
Blogger tankiasu said...

If you are coming on Jln Pudu, from Time Square, then you would see Sek Yuen on your right. Go further straight, you will reach the traffic light junction of Jln Pudu/Jln Pasar/Jln Sg Besi. Turn right into Jln Sg Besi, and after 100 metres, you will see Bing Kee (a cornerlot) on your right. You can turn right there, so you might go abit further to make a U-turn.

sc: I have the map for this location. If you wish to have it then pls email me. ;-)

05 March, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

thanks tankiasu for for the directions. dont think i need the map, your directions is good enuff.. think will amend my post to add in the directions :)

05 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home