Thursday, October 01, 2009

Ah Wang Bak Kut Teh, Old Klang Road

On the way back from my kampung recently, we decided to stop for dinner before returning to our respective homes..
I'm craving for braised pork trotter in vinegar my brother exclaimed. Hmm, I thought females would crave for sour stuff, not males?
Anyways, he already had somewhere in mind, so I just let him drive to where ever we may be going..
We ended at a side off a main road, right next to a flyover.
But looking at the crowd, I'm quite assured that food should be at least, mediocre in taste.
There's no sign board indicating the name of this place, but I soon found out it's Ah Wang BKT. Which I assume we'll at least have a claypot of BKT.
Surprisingly, my brother only ordered the pork trotter vinegar and steamed fish head...
The BKT's just so-so.. the other dishes are better..
I took a look around, one thing's for sure- every table had a plate of steamed fish head.
It was still very early for dinner actually, and since we're still full, we decided to have only 2 dishes. Meat and meat. Freaking carnivores :p
My brother's pork trotter in vinegar(RM8)..
Ah Wang's version was pretty satisfying. It was sour, yet had a wonderful lingering aroma of vinegar. It lacked the fragrance of gula melaka (I dont think they added that), but for a pure black vinegar trotter with sugar- this was a tasty dish. The meat's rather solid, I would have preferred it softer. Leave this dish a tad longer (and cooler) and the vinegar seeps further into the meat which was better.
The steamed fish head (RM21)..
The steamed soong fish head was extremely fresh. Steaming time was perfect, hence the fish flesh was smooth, and the fish fats were meltingly good. The fish belly area was absolutely scrumptious- there was no muddy taste as it was fresh and the fats were so springy yet dissolved quickly when it's in my mouth. Delicious. I liked the fact that the fish was not drowned in ginger paste- I could easily savour the sweetness of the fish which paired nicely with the just sufficient sauce. There's also other sauces to choose from- with soy/ plain steamed / assam.
Ah Wang BKT is located at Batu 4 1/2, Jalan Kelang Lama, KL. If you drive past Pearl Point( on your right, opposite road), drive a further 200- 300 metres and you'll see Ah Wang on your left. Across the road from Ah Wang is a chinese school. I cant recall the school name though.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger choi yen said...

I know this place always crowded~~~

02 October, 2009  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

looks like got to go early..been wanting to eat this kinda fish head for the longest of times..

02 October, 2009  
Blogger Precious Pea said...

Aiyerr..you made me miss the 'tai chow' so much. I wish i could have a bowl of vinegar trotter now! Sniff!

02 October, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

i went twice, on consecutive nights!
hahaha ...the fish head's good. the assam version also nice.
but i feel the BKT and Vinegar Pork Trotter somewhat lacking.

damn packed. good thing's that, when it rains (it rained like no 2mr!) they even provide free umbrella service!

02 October, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

mimid3vils: yes..always. but seats aplenty la.

joe: do go try the fish.. yums..

pea: when's your next trip back?? can cook the pork vinegar in melbourne, you're such a good cook :)

j2kfm: wah, twice?? you must've enjoyed the fish ya? :p yeah, i thot the pork vinegar's just ok..dont think i'll ever try the BKT. oh yeah, it was drizzling when i went too, and i saw their extra services too

04 October, 2009  
Blogger Ciki said...

the fish place under the bridge is much better!

05 October, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

cumi&ciki: where where?? please share!

05 October, 2009  
Anonymous Paul said...

Try @ Fatty Bak Kut Teh & Fish Head.
Place cleaniness = Good
Food = Excellent
Price = Reasonable

They even have website too fatty.com.my
All i know is, they r the pioneer in old klang road for both bak kut teh & fish head.

22 February, 2010  
Blogger sc said...

thanks for the recommendation Paul!

25 February, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home