Thursday, September 24, 2009

Restoran Fu Kua, Taman Megah

I hated fu kua (bitter gourd) when I was a kid.
My mum would cook bitter gourd soup; the bitter gourd cut in squares (the size of my kiddie palm, mind you!), boiled until its soft and I was forced to drink a whole huge bowl :(
It's very good for you! Mum would say while making sure I finished my portion.
But as I grew much older, I finally learnt to appreciate the finer points of this special gourd...and actually enjoy eating it :)
When my parents were up in PJ recently for a short visit, I suggested Restoran Fu Kua for lunch. You should have seen my mum's face- she was beaming with pride..haha.. or maybe it was my imagination? :p
As the name of the shop suggested, the menu was filled with every thing fu kua- from fu kua soup, stir fry noodles with fu kua, fu kua cooked with all sorts of meat/ seafood/egg/ tau foo and even stir fry fu kua with fu kua (yeah, you read right).
We didnt want to go fu kua overboard, so we had some stir fried fu kua with salted egg..
Thin slices of fu kua was slightly crunchy in texture and the salted egg added some light fragrance to the gourd. Quite tasty.
My must order everytime I'm here.. the fried tau foo with mince meat..
The tau foo was fried to perfection- the skin was crisp and aromatic, the mince meat and sauce complemented the tau foo beautifully. Absolutely scrumptious.
Braised ma yau (threadfin) with bitter gourd..
Other than the slightly over fried ma yau, I enjoyed this dish tremendously. Their bean paste sauce was excellent and goes so well with the bitter gourd and fish. In fact, I've tried their stir fried bitter gourd-bean paste combo with chicken, pork ribs and frogs..all tasted yummy too.
The marmite spareribs was mediocre though..
Could smell the marmite when the dish was served, but could hardly taste it when I took a bite. Luckily the meat was tender.
Wash the meal down with some bitter gourd juice and we are all contented..hehe
Restoran Fu Kua is located at 19, Jalan SS23/15, Taman Megah, 47400, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

must b as we grow up, we learn how "fu" life can be..

25 September, 2009  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

This is soooo not my kind of restaurant. (>.<)

25 September, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

joe: hahaha that's a good one :)

tummythoz: try la, you may just enjoy it..who knows? :p

25 September, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all looked good. except maybe the fu kua juice. that one cannot lah ...
although how much i appreciate bitter gourd now.

i like the indian style of frying the fu kua (verybitter, small type) with batter, thats crispy n spicy.
like a snack.

25 September, 2009  
Anonymous Pureglutton said...

I love fukua - good for your system, hehe! Must look for this place... where is the exact location? Any landmark?

25 September, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

j2kfm:you can always choose the bitter gourd juice with honey :p
oh yeah, those small deep fried ones are really good too (though darn unhealthy)

pureglutton: it's at the back row of shops behind Cash Convertors, Hong Leong etc at Taman Megah. From LDP, turn left at Cash Convertors. Drive on till you see the traffic lights, drive on and take first left turn(slight slope) and you'll see Fukua.

25 September, 2009  
Blogger zewt said...

no fu qua in the marmite dish? :P

25 September, 2009  
Blogger Rebecca Saw said...

me too! Nvr liked it whn young and now suddenly appreciate bitter food like fu kua and liver and wht nots..
Part of growing up??

26 September, 2009  
Blogger choi yen said...

same as u too, scare of fu gua when young, now start to eat that...

28 September, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

zewt: better not OD on it...

thenomadGourmand: i think so too... adult appreciates the 'finer' things in life..haha

mimid3vils: hehe..tastes changed i guess.

29 September, 2009  
Blogger Simon Seow said...

I think I saw this restaurant appeared in Ho Chak before.

29 September, 2009  
Blogger minchow said...

Wahhh a restaurant dedicated to the GOURD! My dad is going to flip when I bring him there! I don't like bitter gourd though, other than the fritters with Banana leaf... I better not go hungry! :-S

01 October, 2009  
Anonymous jason said...

I don't live bitter gourd too (mom boils the bitter gourd tea and it smells like tobacco >_<) but I like it to be stir fried with salted egg.

01 October, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home