Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Subak, Bukit Lanjan, KL

Bollywood Queen always have me in mind whenever she comes across a new place to eat.
XOXO girl!
So obviously, when Farid introduces her to this new makan place, it didnt take her long to bring us there :)
When Bollywood Queen drove us there..deep into the Bukit Lanjan area, I thought she was bringing us for a ride. It was rather in the 'jungle' area, when sudden we see it, Subak, perched at a higher ground surrounded by trees and lots of greens.
We were there for dinner, when it's all dark. And the first impression I get? It's reminiscent of a restaurant I went in Bali, called Tepi Sawah.
The warm, cozy setting makes me feel at ease immediately, and the well mannered, friendly staff adds more brownie points to this place.
We took our seats, got comfortable and let BQ do most of the ordering...
Our drinks...
BQ's teh tarik which she absolutely loves..
Amy and I had Blue Coraco (or sounds like that)
Looks pretty but I didnt like the taste..
Compliments from the chef...Rice sheet with veg filling. A refreshing piece, reminds me of what I had at Bobby Chinn's, sans truffle oil and fresh mushrooms.

Our starters was served soon after..

Ibu Yati's Gado gado (RM10)Though the portion's rather dainty, I find it absolutely scrumptious! It's the peanut sauce that got me hooked; it's extremely aromatic, almost like eating freshly roasted peanuts. Very good stuff.

For soup, we had Pak Ajelan's chicken soto(RM10)..The soup looks murkier than the usual soto I had, but it's delicious. Subak's very generous with the ingredients, there were lots of nasi impit, shredded chicken, beansprouts etc. Well, not that the ingredients swayed me over, the soup was good enough pull for me to order this again on my next visit.

Mains up, I wanted to try the Balinese Fried rice with seafood skewer (RM25)..It looks very much like what I had in Tepi Sawah, bali . And tasted lovely too! The fried rice had good wok hei and nice aroma to it. Seafood grilled was fresh and sweet; and I liked the plum acar, goes well with the fried rice.
Sizzling honey spring chicken (RM32) was a hot affairSizzling alright..the chicken was served on a bed of summer vegetables- squash, zuchinni, brussel sprouts and new potatoes. The chook was tender and moist; the creamy sauce goes nicely with the sides. Though tasty, I still prefer the asian dishes we had that night.

And how can we end the night without desserts?

BQ chose the tantalizing Glutinous Rice Tapai with Vanilla Ice cream. (RM8)One of the fusion that works. The vanilla ice cream complemented the pungent, fermented flavours of the tapai. A good combo that has to be savoured slowly..

Overall, we had a good time at Subak. I guess for those who miss Bali and want a break from the bustling city; Subak may just be the answer for a few hours of unwinding :)

Subak is located at Lot 3213, Jalan Penchala Indah, Bukit Lanjan, KL. Click here for Subak's map n directions

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger choi yen said...

There is a similar restaurant(balinese) at that area but I forgot the name :P

26 March, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

mimid3vils: think it's Bora something...yeah, same area..

26 March, 2009  
Blogger minchow said...

What a super wholesome meal! I'm always hankering for some super yummy soto! The map's a little vague though, I probably would need to call up for more precise directions :-P

26 March, 2009  
Blogger HairyBerry said...

the setting reminded me of naili's in sentul. ok lar, naili's got mosquitoes sometimes..hehe..

good looking soto there! lemaknyerr! best. my fave balinese dish is babi guling but i doubt they have it here la... ;D

26 March, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I've been meaning to go here! Thanks for the info, SC!

26 March, 2009  
Blogger Sarah said...

another one in penchala area is called Bora Asmara. Try it! This restaurant is just two houses from my house :D but you've been there and I haven't lol.

26 March, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

550ml jar of faith: it was! i had an enjoyable time there, am sure you will too

nic: this one is equipped with mosquito coils at the side of the seats.. :p. the soto tasted better than it looks. but this is a halal joint, so there's no babi gulings

lemongrass: most welcome :)hope you'll like this place too

sarah: hehe..yes, bora asmara, that's the name. grass is always greener at the other side? will never think of eating somewhere just next to your place eh? :)

27 March, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review about Subak. Hope you had a good time here and hopefully we will see you soon again. We will be having Earth Hour tomorrow 28/03/09 starting from 730pm onwards. There will be 15 celebs and personalities too...hope you and your friends can make it. See you soon.

ps- If those who are not fimiliar with the location do call us up and we will guide you to Subak.

27 March, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

faroze: most welcome and thanks for popping by! yes, will be back at Subak very soon :). heard of the earth hour thing at subak, but i've got plans, thanks for the update nonetheless

28 March, 2009  
Blogger sourplum said...

there is a land for auction next to subak restaurant. details as follows.

date: 24-11-2010
RM 567,000.00 for 104190.00 sf
leasehold. bumi lot. expire on 05/08/2056

interested? contact me 0136724773

28 September, 2010  
Anonymous JoinMe said...

Hi SC,
Kindly be informed that this post has been reprinted on JoinMe.com.my, thanks.
P/S: We have put your name and link credit back to this article.

11 July, 2011  
Anonymous Food Processor said...

wow! amazing post.I really love your blog.Thanks for sharing your effort......

12 October, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home