Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Restaurant Hung Kee, KL

Went down to KL with Abner for brunch and erm, then later for lunch? One of those pigging out days again..
He wanted me to try a famous wantan mee at Loke Yew and soon I find myself at Hung Kee.
Hey I've been here years back!
Abner's face fell, I felt so bad actually.
But I've only been here once and was actually told that it's good for char siew rice, not the wantan noodles. Never tried the wantan noodles before, I quickly added
Ah, my redemption :p
Since I was 'misled' years back that Hung Kee was famed for char siew rice; I definitely had to try the wantan noodles.
The wantan noodles looks yummy
It's really springy, definitely had the QQ texture that is so very important in wantan noodles. The sauce base was very old school, but done wonderfully. The char siew was good, it's the more solid meat type, not the melt-in-mouth char siews.
What's amazing for me was the wantan serving that came with my noodles..
The norm serving would be 3 pieces of wantans? They gave me 6 juicy, well marinated pork wantan. Delicious. :)
Abner had roast pork wantan noodles..
Same yummy noodles, but the roast pork was not very impressive. Oh, and he got less wantans...3 wantans if you have wantan noodles with roast pork :p
Restaurant Hung Kee is located at 28-5, 28-6, Jalan Loke Yew, Pudu, Kuala Lumpur.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

or maybe its 6 wantons for a "she" and 3 wantons for a "he"?

07 January, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was so excited about this place when i first found out about it... yes, darn good char siew for wantan noodles but the lack of parking is deterring me from going back these days.

07 January, 2009  
Blogger Jason said...

Yeah, I was wondering why all stall operator usually only gives 3 wantans ... hmm...

07 January, 2009  
Blogger HairyBerry said...

i pass by this place everytime the bus makes it way to puduraya..hehe...

makan-ed there 2 months back. had the sang har yee mee. not too bad. a good place for classic dishes.

07 January, 2009  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

Ahh one of my default place to have a reasonably good wantan mee anytime of the day. Not impressed by the siew yok either.

07 January, 2009  
Blogger Allie said...

The wantan mee is looks less dark compare to the one we get at Penang. But that looks darn good. yum yum.. and I luv char siew..

07 January, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

smart choice for not having a seperate order or siew yoke n char siu..they charge u a cut throat price!

07 January, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

joe: now that you look at this prespective..hehehe..no la, the waiter said it's fix 6 wantans for charsiew wantan noodles..

jasmine: that road is ultra busy..

jason:it's norm to get 3. they're more generous here i guess ;)

nic: try the wantan mee next time?

tummythoz: cant beat the melt in mouth siew yok at pudu hor?

allie: maybe i've not really tossed it yet before the pic? hehe..but yeah, its not that dark here..

kampungboycitygal: oh really? i didnt know, thanks for the tip!

07 January, 2009  
Blogger backStreetGluttons said...

You must have made little Abdner really proud to be able to share such close proximity round table with the golden meat plus those wrinkled fillings , along such a long & dangerously gangsterlokeU lane where anything can happen ( even during brunch ), we think he intended it that way
LOL !

07 January, 2009  
Blogger wmw said...

Happy New Year...been wanting to come to Hung Kee for a while but never got round to it. Been there many many many years ago!

08 January, 2009  
Blogger choi yen said...

Donno why now I'm always craving for wonton mee.... :P

08 January, 2009  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

I STILL have not tasted the siew-yok at Pudu. =,(

08 January, 2009  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Happy New Year sc! Wow, 6 wantans! I reckon it must be just you, as I don't remember getting so many.

08 January, 2009  
Blogger sc said...

backstreetglutton: yakah? seems quite ok to me la..and we were sitting at the five foot way some more :p

wmw: Happy new year! time for a revisit just like me?

mimid3vils: tried this before?

tummythoz: really? ok ok think we need to set appointment and go together gether one of these days.

boo: happy new year to you too! haha, definitely not me la, the waiter said it's default 6 wantans for charsiew wantan noodles ;)

08 January, 2009  
Blogger Ciki said...

happy 2009! charsiew wantan mee! that was what i craved when i was away - thx for the pix :) lol

09 January, 2009  
Blogger Angiekyl said...

I been to this place . Food not that good to shout about. should try the wanton noddle at Lai Foong coffeshop at Chinatown.

09 January, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home