Sunday, December 14, 2008

Jonker Street, Melaka

Was in Melaka recently for a day trip, to celebrate my 2 friend's birthday with, what else, but whole day of all expense paid eating! lucky lucky guys :p
Thanks Andrew for the fantastic transport, we really felt we were in a private coach tour to Melaka, very nice indeed! hehe
We reached Melaka in time for lunch, and our first stop was the famous chicken rice ball at Kedai Kopi Chung Wah. My first try of this shop was when I was 17 years old, my friend's father, a Malaccan, said that this was the only place he'll have the chicken rice balls. The first experience was unforgettable. And I've been back on my every visit to Melaka.
So yes, I was not surprise when I saw the queue when I was approaching the shop. But wait was short, we managed to get seats quite fast.
The rice balls and the chilli sauce.. Compact rice balls coated with chicken oil, i used to just take this with the chilli sauce and I would be satisfied. Alas, I was sorely disappointed as the rice balls lacked the fragrance and flavours that used to impressed me. So was the chilli; it's merely spicy and not fragrant anymore.
I was never impressed with the chicken they served there.. And yes, it's still mediocre.
Next was dessert at Jonker Dessert 88
Their famed cendol with sticky, caramelised gula melaka was a hot item in this shop. How can one miss it?
Still as yummy as the last I had it. A little bit on the sweeter side though..

We walked over to Donald & Lily..
Read that it has a killer nyonya laksa. WF said they're famous for the cendol too (the normal, non caramelised version). It was already nearing tea time and we were lucky to get the final 2 bowls of laksa. The waiter suggested us to try their other nyonya food (pongteh, assam fish etc), but we already had lunch and just wanted to snack here...
Looks absolutely gorgeous, this bowl was definitely sinful. The creamy, thick santanish soup was enticing and not overly rich. I usually don't take nyonya laksa as it's just too rich in flavours. But Donald & Lily's version was surprising smooth and goes down really well with all the fresh ingredients (juicy see ham included :p).
We had some Tau Kua Rojak
Francis said it was weird. So I tried. It was ok actually, warm bean curd, chopped cucumber and pineapple tossed with prawn sauce ala chee cheong fun style. I guess it's an acquired taste? I didn't find it terribly impressive though nearly every table has a plate of it.
Cendol to cool us down.. Too sweet, but the gula melaka was very fragrant.
Kedai Kopi Chung Wah
18, Jalan Hang Jebat ( beginning of Jonker walk) , 75200 Melaka.
Jonker Dessert 88 (Museum Cafe)
88, Jonker Walk, 75200 Melaka.
Donald & Lily
Back of Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock (or back lane off Jalan Hang Jebat), 75200 Melaka.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger backStreetGluttons said...

We somehow feel that Melaka has lost its status as the Nyonya / Portugese paradise it was once famous for. Disappointmment also figures much in your this post ! You've got co !

15 December, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

backStreetGluttons: it turned into a tourist trap i guess.. oh well, at least D&Lily was still ok..maybe it's a bit further off jonker's?

16 December, 2008  
Blogger Selba said...

chicken rice balls? that's new for me... I believe it's really yummy :D

16 December, 2008  
Blogger HairyBerry said...

when i first went to chung wah, i thought they were selling tau foo fah or cendol from the window, thanks to the queue that blocked my sight...din know they sell chicken rice...hehe..

too bad now rainy season, if not can just drive up from kl. onli 1.5 hrs. kewl!

16 December, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ....

Is that all ?? Or this just a write up on Jonker Street only ??

What about the : "NO MORE .... come back 7PM" crap !! ..... but have to admit , the 18 pieces of crap was really nice , all finished up in less than an HOUR ! not all by me of course :p

---- The Coach Operator ----

16 December, 2008  
Blogger Ciki said...

too bad about that chicken rice... back then, i love that shop! It brings back memories when I was still dating my future husband.. no money wat.. so take me eat chicken rice ball la.. CHEAP DATE! harharhar:P

16 December, 2008  
Blogger Penang Tua Pui said...

i love the cendol with gula melaka....

yum yum...

chicken rice ball.. nothing to shout out on the chicken rice... :(

16 December, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

selba: used to be yummy, by the standard's detiorated by a lot :(

nic: they used to open both entrance, but now they closed all except the front part. well, at least that stops the table snatching :). well, i just went last weekend actually, weather was ok la, drizzled a lil.

coach operator: aduh, patience my friend, just first post ma. i thot it's easier to lump all of jonkers stuff together. i will definitely write about aunt bee bee..it was yummy eh? i still have some at home :p

cumi&ciki:oh, so sweet :). if you to go back now, i'm quite sure you'll be sorely disappointed with the chicken rice balls.

penang tua pui: hi there! oh yes, cendol with gula melaka is delish! lets not talk about the chicken rice balls anymore :(

17 December, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are two famous restaurants at Jonker Street specializing in this unique food, Hoe Kee and Chung Hwa. The first thing I had as soon as I arrived in Melaka was Hoe Kee’s chicken rice balls for lunch. Jonker Street was filled with old buildings and lots of interesting shops around. I definitely love how the feel looks like.

09 March, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home