Sunday, November 30, 2008

Lan Fong Yuen, Central, Hong Kong

The smoothest silk stocking milk tea....
The smoothest silk stocking milk tea.....
It was playing in my head for a few days before I got to try it as I heard about it from SF and also read about it in food magazine.
A small establishment tucked at the corner of Gage Street. Extremely unassuming but such gems lies within.
With about 15 tables in this small char chan teng, we (aka the tourist) looked slightly out of place as the tables were filled with locals slurping noodles and eating toasts.

It was teatime for us, so no noodles, but we opted for the famed silk stocking (xi mut) milk tea...
Unpretentious cup. Smooth as silk milk tea. Maybe there's magic in the silk stocking they used? Or from decades of serving many, many cups for milk tea? Whatever the reason, this cup of tea was indeed the smoothest I've tasted so far. The combination of tea and milk was perfect; did not leave any 'dry' aftertaste with each sip.

I ordered some peanut toast, but the lady heard wrongly, and I got toast with condense milk :(

The bread, though thick, was fluffy and charred nicely from charcoal grill.

The pork chop bun

Looks amazing? Well, it tasted even better than it looks! The chop was marinated for 12 hours, hence it was tender, flavourful and so very juicy! And served piping hot, biting into the fluffy, toasted sesame bun was just pure pleasure. Wish I could have this every day!!!

One of the waiter chatted with us, telling us that they have a larger, more comfortable (with air con) branch just a few shops down the same road. It had a bigger menu, more food selection. We did pop by another day..

We had french toast..

Too oily and not eggy enough for me. And thin layer of peanut butter dont assuage my appetite. :p

I had the iced silk stocking tea

The warm one's better. The ice dilutes the tea's flavour.

And as usual, pig that I am, I ordered the pork chop bun. Not as tasty as the original branch.
So how does the older (original) Lan Fong Yuen looks like?

No, that's not a stall, the entrance is on the left, where the lady is standing..

Lan Fong Yuen is located at 2 (original branch), 4-6 (newer branch), Gage Street, Central, Hong Kong. Opens 7 am- 6pm.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Ciki said...

gimme gimme pork chop bun!

01 December, 2008  
Blogger J2Kfm said...

oh there's such hidden gem in Central? of all places. and i tot all Central outlets are posh and such.

I sure missed out BIG time. I went for milk tea in practically EVERY single outlet in HK!

01 December, 2008  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

Toast with condensed milk? Now that really brings me back to my childhood.
I want that ximutlatcha-a-a-a-a.

01 December, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which reminds me, i havent had this for a long time now, time to go tapau back to office one day. It is my favouritest milk tea so far (but honestly i havent tried many char chan teng's tea) but don't need to try all, am happy with this one. Hehe...

Give this link to Sonya, so that she can read about the pork chop bun and kill you when she sees you next!!

02 December, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pork chop bun! Agree that too, I can have that everyday!

02 December, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

cumi&ciki: i want it too!

j2kfm: no la, there are affordable food in central too :). yes, i noticed that you love milk tea when i read your blog..well, you would have enjoyed this heaps!

tummythoz: yes, toast wth condensed milk. very old school food eh? :) ximutnaicha was superb there

SF: go tarpau fast!i did try milk tea at other shops but this one is still better.. send this link to sonya? she'll definitely kill me la!! hahaha maybe post the link in FB and remind her about it :p

jason: *high 5*

02 December, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh go milk stocking tea with me, oh my hongkong-ing foodmeister! ;)

02 December, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

kenny: we can definitely go ximut nai cha-ing together, though i'm surely no HK food meister :p

03 December, 2008  
Blogger choi yen said...

I also heard so many about this place although I didnt drink tea at all. People use to squat/sit? in front of the stall last time :P

03 December, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

mimid3vils: well, it's at the corner of a rather busy road and rather slopy. not sure if it's that easy to squat.hehe.

05 December, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home