Monday, June 02, 2008

Restoran Loon Sing, Nilai

I was the plus one.
I was tagging along, joining a group of new friends (except for amy, whom I've know for years) whom I've met once/ twice/ thrice/ never met before.
Obviously, that didn't deter me from trying food at Loon Sing.
I've seen write ups on Loon Sing years back, from my mum's cooking magazine and after my brother raved about the food when he was there on CNY, I really wanted to try it. Jun's good experience there further solidify my need to be there..hehe
We chose the RM138 (before tax, per pax) dinner set...
First was the complimentary appetisers..Stir fried greens with nuts. Either you like it or hate it. As it has some almond flavour/ essence, which to some, smells like cockcroach.
Deep fried shredded chicken with dried chillies, salt and pepper. This was delicious. The chicken was so tender that we had a hard time figuring out was this was..The waitress confirmed that it's chicken.
Loon Sing requires 1 day advance booking (they dont take walk-ins) as some dishes, such as Buddha Jumps Over The Wall, needs many hours of preparation...I was rather disappointed with Loon Sing's version though. Maybe our RM138 meal was not top range soup, hence I find the soup not as smooth as it should be. Each bowl were filled with shark cartilage, dried scallops, wolfberries, chicken, mushroom and a sliver of yunan ham.
Next was braised abalone and sea cucumber.. The abalone was braised until it's really tender yet, the texture was slightly springy. The sea cucumber had thick flesh, and was good to sink our teeth into. Though, I must say, it can be a tad fishy in flavour for some.
Some Dong Poh Yuk... Cooked in chinese red wine, the cubed pork was more springy rather than of the melt-in-the-mouth type. The sauce was pretty tasty, reminding me of the Fook Chow dish of red wine chicken. Eaten with the steamed chinese flat buns, this dish was pretty good.
However, Jun was rather disappointed as she said the original dong poh yuk served in Loon Sing tastes even better than this. She thought our order was the original one..
Next was fish slices with fish maw and leek.. I liked this dish immensely as I find the flavour light, enhancing the soft flavours of both the fish maw and the fish. The sliced red snapper was fresh and sweet, while the fish maw, was extremely thick and provided a lovely chewy texture.
I cant recall the name of this dish, but it's some deep fried combi platter.. The prawn ball (the one wth mayonaise) was huge, filled with lots of prawns and fish. The filling was still juicy when I bite into it, and the crunchiness of the exterior gives a lovely texture to this dish. The fish look-a-like is made of yam paste, shrimp and wax sausages. Very fragrant, reminds mne of eating yam cake, but a mashed version.
Last dish was fried rice cake cutlets... It smells fantastic, I was drooling the moment it was placed on the table. Bet there's zhu yau zhar..haha. They didnt stinge on th seafood too, there were loads of it. I took a bite, alas, too much msg. While others seemed contented gobbling their portion down in glee, I had to stop after 2 mouthfuls as the MSG was just too much for me (my mouth was feeling numb). Oh well.
Dessert was hasma boiled with glutinous rice balls. I thought the combination was rather weird as the hasma's taste was blanketed by the rice balls.
For the dishes I tried in Loon Sing, there were some hits and definitely some misses. Jun said the standard detiorated though.

Restoran Loon Sing is located at PT2484, Kawasan Perindustrian Nilai 2, Block D, 71800 Nilai, Negeri Sembilan. Tel: 06-799 7787. Website: www.loonsing.com.my

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Yeah, a lot of regulars have told me the same thing - food is not so great! I guess with rising food costs, these are the measures they take.

04 June, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

boo: either that, or QC is not so good there..

04 June, 2008  
Blogger Jason said...

MSG overloaded... ewww...

04 June, 2008  
Blogger HairyBerry said...

cockroach? i thought it's kutu...hehe...

well, the ingredients sure sound good but too bad the taste says otherwise...hmmm, RM138 per pax, i think can go for ah yatt abalone already...nice!

04 June, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

jason: only for the last dish..the rest were ok.

nic: hmmm, i never really kutu have smell..hahaha. like i say, some hits and some misses. their method of cooking (for some dishes) were a tad different though.

04 June, 2008  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wah i think the abalone was big and prob bulk of what u pay..looks like not worth travelling all the way dwn to negeri sembilan for this then..

04 June, 2008  
Blogger J2Kfm said...

u go all the way down for this meal? wah! amazed .... hehe ...
but pity the food not up to standard. is the rice cakes cutlets char koay kak? or crispy type?

04 June, 2008  
Blogger backStreetGluttons said...

If not mistaken, this must the shop that charged RM4000 a table of 10 for VIP dining many years ago before the stock market collapse in 1998! we have heard so much but never been here .

but if the buddha jump for below RM100 must be a tiny buddha over a miniscule wall !
haha

04 June, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohh... I think I've been there before. Maybe I haven't but my parents have, with my sis. Many years ago and at that time it was actually quite good apparently.

It's worrying that I might not have been there but thought I did based on the fact that my parents did and told me about it, am I making sense??? Hahaha

Woman, HK is awaiting you. When are you coming?

04 June, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

joe: that was our guess too!

j2kfm: i was the plus one..they wanted to go, asked me, so i tagged along :). not koay kak..it's chewy, made of rice flour.

team bsg: think they still have the RM4000 set menu.. hahaha, yeah, baby buddha did a skip, not a jump i guess.

sf: yup, SL said you guys have been there before..
HK depends on your travelling schedule...takut you'll be somewhere else when i'm there..

04 June, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer.. food wasn't that great..!! they do looked yummy though.. what a waste.. eh... :(

17 June, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home