Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Char Kuey Teow, Lorong Selamat, Penang

This is so famous; I should not be writing about it.
Then again, I was there. And I made my friends wait while I took photos...
Yes, I am talking about the famous red beret-huge goggles combo char kuey teow lady; who's either hated or liked (love is too strong of a word for this..hehe).
I wonder why Goggles Lady stir up such emotions in people; one of my uni friend hated her arrogance and swore never, ever to eat her char kuey teow for the rest of his life. Another friend hated waiting and queueing under the hot for some char kuey teow; while others find it utterly ridiculous paying RM6 for a plate of CKT..
Of course on the flip side, she has legions of fans, who swore her CKT is the best they have ever had...
Me? Well, I wont say I'm a fan, but I cant deny that she does whip up a darn delicious CKT. Most people say you'd get swayed by the plump, sweet, juicy prawns to say it's good.
But I rarely eat the prawns until I'm halfway down my CKT. Usually, I'd enjoy the CKT on it's own before eating the other ingredients. I like my CKT to be on the dry side; but the kuey teow should remain springy, with good wok hei and have garlicky bits to it. Goggles lady outdid it by adding crushed and small chunks of zhu yau char; stir frying with the kuey teow; giving it a lovely fragrance and crispy texture with each bite. Sliced waxed sausages, fresh clams and juicy beansprouts completes this good plate of CKT.
Lily and WF loved it. Ryan refused to take a bite. I like it. Think it's really delicious. But is this the best? Well, I'm keeping that space empty in my list.. for now..
Oh, by the way, to those who hated to queue for Goggles lady's CKT, fret not. She has moved her stall to a new kopitiam..the waiters takes orders and serves us..This famous CKT starts at RM6 (small plate).

Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, I'm kinda like you... I like to munch on my prawns later and slurp the CKT first... A bit anal-retentive lah us? :P

03 April, 2008  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

*groan* this place again.
Think the very last time I ate this was eons ago (say like when I can still fit into primary school uniform). Heard most patrons now are gullible tourists. :P

03 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

moving on to this one.. no comment.. anyway.. what happen to terubong seafood? Bayan baru bang chang kueh? lobak? lorong sawtow? assam fish head? hope you will leave out the durian.. really dissapointed.. am thinking of telling lily next 2 months only go for durian..

03 April, 2008  
Blogger Jun said...

"from" RM6 eh? more and more ridiculous each time. i dun go thr anymore altho i miss it (and the ice-kacang ;>). my fav is the one on carnarvon st, with duck egg :)))

glad u tried and liked the bangkok lane mee goreng too *high 5s*

03 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

kenny: *high 5* on the eating part..not the anal part..kakaka

tummythoz: ooo...i see a hater here.. :D

ryan: dude, sabar lah...one place per post, this is the correct sequence ma..terubong is next..patience my dear :p.. might write about the durians, at least to warn people of rainy/ low season..

03 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

jun: yes, RM6 and up..oh well, at least you'll get huge prawns..kaka
i've tried duck egg CKT at kimberley road, but was not good..must find out where this carnarvon st is..

03 April, 2008  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wow they moved! so we dun hav to line up anymore?? wow

04 April, 2008  
Blogger J2Kfm said...

instead of the large prawns, it was the large cockles that excited me. It was RM4.50 or 5.50 onwards that time, when I was still a young USM undergrad. Sigh ... I love the pulau tikus one though. At the market at nite only, cz they serve theirs with squids! ;)

04 April, 2008  
Blogger Jason said...

Wonder why most proprietor will become liddat after they're famous? Sigh...

05 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

joe: just a few steps away frm the old stall. yup no more lining up!

j2kfm: so u like cockles i see..dont think i've been to pulau tikus nite market..but with squids sounds darn good :)

jason: arrogance sets in gwa..

05 April, 2008  
Blogger wmw said...

I want to go for a food crawl in Penang!

07 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

wmw: go my dear, go! :)

07 April, 2008  
Blogger J2Kfm said...

dun reli like cockles, but theirs were so BIG it was hard not to like biting into them! :)
but the aunty looks funny wearing goggles and chef hat. arrogant, nonetheless.

10 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are far better Char Kuay Teow out there compared to this Lorong Selamat sisters one....

Yes, the aunty is darn arrogant and chop ppl price one......

22 June, 2008  
Blogger CmorButt said...

I just had this 2 days ago and I have to disagree with all the people who bash this CKT.

I have to say it is bluddy amazing!!! My god! So long since i've had good CKT like this.

Most people's CKT lose quality/consistency over the years, but for hers to be still so gooooood! omg! I feel like going back to penang just to have another plate!

And it definitely was not "good-because-i-was-hungry". I had a bowl of hokkien mee, assam laksa and popiah before the CKT arrived. It was soooo niceee ..

perfect blend of burnt bits, soft kuey teow, eggs, oil, etc! yumm! I normally hate lap cheong, but even the lap cheong here was just nice.. not overpowering and nasty!

oh man .. i need a cup to collect the saliva forming in my mouth now! =P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30 June, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

cmorbutt: hi there! haha, you're real funny about the saliva part..yeah, agreed on the bashing part..it's nice what hor? it's RM6, well, i see ppl paying RM13 at madam kwan's and PG village, so i dont get the fuss bout this too..

04 July, 2008  
Anonymous Alexa said...

wow this so perfect!i wonder when can i go there and eat all their food!

26 April, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home