Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Pho Hoa Pastuer, Ho Chi Minh

It was our last day in HCM, we were sad as we need to return to Hanoi. We were in Benthanh Market when Jeffrey asked if we would like to have the best Pho Bo in Saigon.

I wondered why he asked at all..He should know our answer :p
So we cut short our shopping time in Benthanh to ensure we got to savour the delicious noodles..

The moment we stepped in, we were greeted with the aroma of beef and beef stock..as we climbed to higher floors, we could see diners (mostly locals) tucking into their huge bowl of pho with gusto. I knew then that we are in the for some seriously good pho.

The tables were already laden with goodies..

meatpies, dough fritters, meat paste, fresh vegs, bananas..to snack on if you are still hungry after having the pho..

Dragon girl and Jeff ordered crunchy flank and fatty flank while I ordered fatty flank and sliced beef. We didn't wait long, soon, a piping bowl of pho was placed in front of me.

To my disappointment, they prepared my pho with just the sliced beef. No fatty flank :(
The soup, unlike most of the pho bo we have tried so far, was a little murky. It taste heavenly; hours of boiling the bones and meat gave the broth a sweetness and flavour like no other. The pho was so smooth that it practically glides down my throat. And the sliced beef; I suspect they served sliced raw beef on my noodles and just poured boiling hot broth over it to cook it. The texture was perfect; tender and juicy; almost, just almost; melt in mouth..

Dragon girl passed me a few fatty flank..I took a bite and I was totally smitten. This was even better than the sliced beef..This piece of meat was so flavourful, I just cant describe the burst of beefiness in my mouth that I'll remember for a long, long time. Perfecto.

I dunked some gio cha quay (aka yau zha gwai in cantonese) into my pho too..that tasted delicious with the noodles. The combo sounds weird, but trust me, it's yummy :). And if you like trying all sorts of beef preparation, you should order pho with mix beef; you'll get brisket, sliced beef, flank (crunchy and fatty), tendon and beef paste.

Our total bill was about RM25, which I would willingly pay for this fantastic bowl of pho bo..


Pho Hoa Pastuer is located at 260C Pastuer P8, Q3 TP, HCM.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Kenny Mah said...

You, my dear, are making me fall in love with Vietnam with all these posts. (Sorta the same way you did earlier with your Bali posts.)

Guess I know where I'm heading in 2008, huh? ;)

18 December, 2007  
Blogger TuT said...

Oh, how i wish this shop is just next to my house! :P

19 December, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

kenny: hahaha..really? yes, you should go for a break!

tut: though it's not next to your house per se, but it's just minutes away from your office! what else could u ask for?? :p

19 December, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. u have been in Vietnam for quite a while! :-) Envy u.. luckily I oso just had beef koay teow in Penang this afternoon... :-D

19 December, 2007  
Blogger teckiee said...

cant wait cant wait! going soon! how to u call the fatty part in Vietnamese?

19 December, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

kacuak: hi there! was only in viet for 9 days..not that long :) hey, you are in PG..its even nearer to viet ;p

teckiee: haha..yeah, jan rite? you'll be going to HCM too? aiyo, my viet language very limited..need to ask my fren ;)

19 December, 2007  
Blogger TuT said...

if you want to order just the pho with the fatty flank, it's called 'pho gau'

enjoy! :)

19 December, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

thanks tut!

19 December, 2007  
Blogger Precious Pea said...

sc, sniff sniff, i want that Pho!!

21 December, 2007  
Blogger teckiee said...

sc, i'm only at hanoi for a short 3 days =( The HCM food you reviewed looks nicer. Anyway, how much did the bill come too in Bobby Chinn? I'm budget traveling.. afraid eating there will kill my budget.

22 December, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

pea: go next year with hubby hor?

teckiee: it was bout USD50..1 snack, 2 mains and 2 drinks. we were on budget too..swiped card for bobby's. go try cha ca la vong, at cha ca street..try tho ori which i didnt get to try then..

22 December, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home