Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Salted Chicken, Ipoh

This is so famous, I should not be writing about it at all..
But then again, this was the reason why we stopped by Ipoh, to buy this much sought after chicken..
Yes, by now you know I'm talking about the famed Aun Kheng Lim salt baked chicken. Tourists and locals come to AKL to pack boxes and boxes of this delicacy; in fact, on some days, business is so good that you need to contact them 1 day in advance to place your orders, else, they wont serve you at all (as walk in customer). Rather ridiculous eh?
Anyways, we managed to buy this chicken without prior booking; the boxes of chickens were still nice and warm..The salt baked chicken is basically cooked as described in it's name; the marinated chicken is wrapped with layers of paper and baked in sea salt. The chicken is extremely juicy, very tender and had the warm embrace of herbs and salt; which still lingers in your mouth after the first bite. Though it's very tasty, I'm not a big fan of salt, hence, I did find the chicken too salty for me after a while. My friends love it though..All of them are very ham (in Cantonese)..hehe. The salt baked chicken costs RM16 per box.
Restoran Aun Kheng Lim is located at 24, Jalan Theatre, 30300 Ipoh, Perak. Tel: 05-2542998.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Rasa Malaysia said...

I have never tried this...would love to try this the next time I pass by Ipoh! :)

13 June, 2007  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

And that ignited my carvings. Anyone here going to Ipoh this wkend?

13 June, 2007  
Blogger tankiasu said...

I asked my friend to buy 2 for me 2 months ago. Still not yet blog about it. But it's delicious alright! :-)

13 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

RM: you should try it the next time you're back. real tasty chook! hehe

tummythoz: erm, if my bad memory didnt fail me, precious pea going this month end, jason going back either this month end or early next month..tumpang them to buy la! ;p

tankiasu: very juicy and tender hor? yumz..

13 June, 2007  
Blogger Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I love this chicken, man. Can eat 1/2 chicken all by myself...easily! Slurp!

13 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

lyrical lemongrass: i did that too! hehe...guess it's a flogger's trait? ;)

13 June, 2007  
Blogger Precious Pea said...

Oooo yumz..love the salted chicken here..yum yum yum. Tummy, I will be going to Ipoh end of the month, your craving can last till then or not?

13 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahaha.. You found the shop! Pretty near to Foh San and Lou Wong Nga Choi Kai. I still haven't decide which date to go back yet.

13 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

precious pea: i presume then, you'll be packing many boxes? so tummy, tumpang-ing?

jason: not i found ler..my fren frm ipoh brought us ler..hehe

13 June, 2007  
Blogger Kenny Mah said...

Wah... can eat HALF a chicken. You lady floggers sure have a hearty appetite. ;)

Actually, half shouldn't be too tough, only, like you, worry if too salty. I'm not as "ham" as your friends, sc. LOL

13 June, 2007  
Blogger boo_licious said...

I love this too! Didn't know you had to order ahead as I had no problems buying them when I popped by one day. I was kinda impressed with their service as they even lent me a brolly to get to the car as it was raining.

13 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

kenny: but AKL's salted chicken is quite small wor ._.".. guess we're both not very ham people then ;p

boo: oh, my friend told me that during school holidays/ public hols, business is so good that they dont do walk-ins. but on norm days, you dont need to call. So, to avoid disappointment, it's always good to make a call, just in case! ;)

13 June, 2007  
Blogger MeiyeN said...

so famous but me get to try it :(

13 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

meiyen: am sure you'll get to try it sooner or later :)

14 June, 2007  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

out of stock eh? i remember the last time i drove past..they have boxes stacked up to the roof! maybe there were empty boxes perhaps..tried it and love it to the max..haha 1 chicken? no problem!

14 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

joe: ya, those are empty boxes. pre-fold for their packing convinience..wah, 1 chicken? *salutes*

14 June, 2007  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

I can do at least 3/4 of d chick. =P.
Precious pea, TQ for d offer but too late-lar. I should be making a trip upnorth about then too.

14 June, 2007  
Blogger wmw said...

Ham sap kai! Ha ha ha....I can't eat half, cos I only like the chicken breast meat...

15 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

tummythoz: wah, 3/4 dont think i can lor... you very 'geng' ;)

wmw: ham sap kai? haha..i said my frens like ham stuff..but ham sap kai :D oh, so you're a breast person la ;p

15 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home