Thursday, June 07, 2007

Makanan Laut Jeti, Bukit Tambun, Penang

Yes, this will be my final post on my Penang makan trip (did i hear someone saying finally? hehe)

Tambun is a place my kaki makans will pop over as a last stop before we leave Penang. It's very famous for cheap and fresh seafood and throngs of locals and non locals would come over for lunches and dinners particularly on weekends..

There are plenty of restaurants to choose from at Tambun, but we'll usually patronise this particular restaurant. Dont ask me why. Maybe it's located next to the river? It's cheaper than others? My friends are creatures of habit? I'm gobsmacked too.
A storm was brewing when we reached for lunch..Thunder rumbles and so did our tummy ;p

Ordering was quick and the dishes didnt take that long to arrive...
First served was steamed scallops..It looks so appetising and it tasted divine! The scallops were very fresh, springy to the bite and the sauce complemented it beautifully. I really love the sauce; lots of chinese wine, ginger juice, garlic, spring onions and some chopped chilli. This was the best dish there for me :-)

Next was steamed mantis prawns..Again, the prawns were fresh, so wonderful to take a bite into it. very nice. The sauce was again doused with chinese wine, but I still prefer the scallop's sauce..

The fried baby squids was a huge serving! Very crunchy on the outside, but squids were springy and sweet on the inside. Dipped in chilli sauce, makes a tasty snack..hehe
The or jien was mediocre though.. I find the the flour too thick, it was more like eating oyster pancake rather than oyster omelette. And it was a freaking huge serving, took sometime to finish this..
The stingray cooked in tomyam style was very appetising (and again, gargantuan!)The gravy was had sufficient tomyam taste but did not over power the stingray's freshness. As it was sour and spicy (not very spicy though :-( ) at the same time, this dish goes well with white rice...
We saw some people having fried soft shell crabs.. since it was beckoning us to order it, we succumbed to it... ;pMost unfortunately, it looks better than it tastes :-(. The batter was rather thick at some parts, in fact, i took a few portions which were purely fried flour with no crabs! I didn't like the batter they used too, it had this vanilla-ish flavour which I found too sweet for me.
As not all of us had rice, we ordered a portion of fried teochew noodles..I didnt like this. The noodles tasted like plastic. No, not kansui taste, but the distinct taste of plastic. Weird huh? Nonetheless, we managed to finished everything on the plate (including the bad tasting noodles) as we were famished (or maybe plain greedy). Our total bill was RM102 (including drinks and tidbits) for the 5 of us. Cheap hor?
Makanan Laut Jeti is located at No 1249, Bagan Bukit Tambun, 14110 Simpang Ampat, Penang. Tel: 04-5880949/ hp:019-4152934

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Tummythoz said...

Aiyo. Another KL-ite singing 'cheap cheap cheap'. Spoil market.
Oh, how I miss those whole 'lai-lui-har'. I prefer grilled.

07 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

hahaha..it is relatively cheaper compared to KL ma tummythoz ;). the whole lai lui har, medium sized some more wor. ya, grilled ones are yummy too!

07 June, 2007  
Blogger MeiyeN said...

steamed mantis prawns? never tried before and sounds really interesting! oh my god, my saliva dripping already.......

07 June, 2007  
Blogger wmw said...

Still lotsa travel tales....I still haven't really started my Malacca food adventure! -_-

08 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

meiyen: do try it! nice and sweet, bet you'll enjoy it :) (though it does looks kinda scary)

wmw: haha, tell me bout it wmw! i think you have more food travels compared to me! :)

08 June, 2007  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

its dirt cheap..we ordered and ordered..and it didnt sting my wallet a tiny bit haha...but its tambun and not where you will go everyday..so thats the con la..

haha finally eh?..its about time..that way alot of penang food!

08 June, 2007  
Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

Aiyoh, my saliva is dripping oout now... so yummy and so affordable seafood.

08 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

joe: really affordable hor? but yup, tambun is far though :(. finally, yes, finally..haha. reading these now, i wondered how i managed to stuff in everything in 2.5 days? bottomless tummies? ;)

big boys oven: hi there! welcome! :) sure is delicious and cheap seafood compared to those in KL. do come back often!

08 June, 2007  
Blogger Rasa Malaysia said...

I have never been to this restaurant but the seafood dishes all look so good. Man.

10 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

RM: this restaurant is just opposite Gee Seng (the one you wrote about some months back).most of the dishes are lip smacking :)

11 June, 2007  
Blogger Precious Pea said...

OMG!!!! THAT MANTIS PRAWNS IS CALLING MY NAME. SO BIG SURE VERY SWEET HOR?? Sniff sniff..i want :(

11 June, 2007  
Blogger Rasa Malaysia said...

Ah, now I know. I did go to this restaurant many years ago, but it seems like Gee Seng is better. ;)

13 June, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

RM: I wanted to try Gee Seng, but few of my frens who have tried both said that they prefer Jeti..since I'm the minority, I had to follow them. :(

13 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home