Thursday, May 24, 2007

Char Kuey Teow and Belacan Fried Chicken@Kedai makan dan minum Bee Hooi, Penang

Heard of CKT fried with duck eggs? I've heard of it a couple of years back when I was in Penang, but somehow, I've never got to try it..

I've actually forgotten about it this time round until Francis got some recommendations from a penangite on this good CKT at Kimberley road. There's something special with the CKT there, he said. When we walked pass the stall, i noticed the snowy white eggs there..
Duck eggs! hah! That must be their specialty..
We ordered both CKT with duck eggs and with the conventional chicken eggs.
The CKT with duck eggs..Any difference looking at it? Yeah, we cant tell either..
Nonetheless, we attacked the CKT...Alas, I was sorely disappointed :-( (in fact, my kakis were all disappointed too). First, there was insufficient wok hei, the kuey teow was a tad on the wet side. Secondly, it was way too spicy. So spicy that I cant even taste the duck egg. And lastly, the duck egg had a rather pasty/ floury texture which was not nice at all.
What about the normal chicken CKT?
Tasted much better than the duck egg CKT, but it was just mediocre compared to other CKTs I had before..
I noticed lots of people having fried chicken, so WF and I went looking for it ;-)
Just a couple of stalls from the CKT stall, there was a stall selling belacan fried chicken..oooohhh, smells wonderful as the pungent belacan smell wafted through the air when I walked near it. The stall owner was busy frying and chopping chicken at the same time; we waited patiently for our turn. Am so glad we did! The chicken tasted really wonderful, very well marinated, the chicken was juicy and savoury; utterly lip smacking! The skin; crunchy from the deep frying, was laced with belacan , giving a lovely burst of pungent-ness (from the belacan) that I found extremely satisfying. We totally forgotten about the chili sauce at the side (looking so very abandon, poor thing) as the belacan flavour was nice enough on it's own.
You can get the CKTs and fried chicken (and other hawker food, which i didnt try) at Kedai Makan dan Minum Bee Hooi, Kimberley road, Penang. Very near Penang Road (where the famous cendol is), it's 2 roads away from Penang road (hope I recalled correctly!)

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger tankiasu said...

Oh both also one of my favourite food!!! Yummmm....

25 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

but dont try the CKT here, quite disappointing. fried chicken was good though..

25 May, 2007  
Blogger wmw said...

I don't mind CKT a bit on the wet side, maybe that's why I love AsiaCafe's CKT (Stall no. ). But the belacan chicken sounds good!

25 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh... duck egg CKT! I've read about it before and forgotten about it until I read this. There should be nicer ones out there in Penang, somewhere...

26 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

wmw: where's asia cafe? the belacan chicken was good :)

jason: yup, i think so too.. too bad the version i tried was not nice. weird though, quite a lot of penangite like the duck egg CKT at Bee Hooi *scratches head*

28 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bee Hooi's my family favourite destination in Penang too! But what we love most there is the lor mee. The broth is simply out of this world!

28 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

aiyo, wasted la pink elle, should have gotten recommendations from you! no wonder it's quite pack, must've been the lor mee (rather than the CKT)

28 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home