Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Asam Laksa & lobak@Lorong Selamat, Penang

For this trip to Penang, I won't be posting on the famous Lorong Selamat's char kuey teow, Ayer Itam's asam laksa, Penang road's cendol and Pulau Tikus's hokkien mee (prawn mee).. In fact, we decided to try new food; which some turn out good, while others, bad..
But I was at Lorong Selamat; so why didnt I eat the char kuey teow? Well, some of my friends have actually banned this CKT from their eating list; saying that it was overpriced and the queue was ridiculous. As for me, I wanted to eat something else.. hence..
Francis said that there's a real good asam laksa sold here and that if we're lucky, we'll get to eat it (he came 2 years in a row and did not manage to eat it).. and we were :).
Honestly speaking, I'm never a big fan of asam laksa, not sure what the craze is about. Still, I'll never reject good food and I must say, the asam laksa we had was excellent. Actually, I took a look at the stall, it's written there siam laksa..hmmm, makes me wonder what's so different from the conventional ones..This bowl of asam laksa sure tasted different..It had the same ingredients of asam laksa, but just a hint of sourness; at the same time, there was another layer of flavour enveloping it, somewhat like curry laksa..Hence, it had this unique santan-ish (slightly creamy) flavour too. The combination was potent, my friends stopped chatting and concentrated on their bowl, till the last drop of soup was gone..hehe.
Whenever I'm at Lorong Selamat, I'll always order the prawn fritters as I find this snack absolutely delectable. While other stall's prawn fritters have more dough and just and few prawns, Lorong Selamat's version was basically all prawns, fragilely held together by some dough. Fried till crunchy, this is so hard to resist. The lobak was just average though.
Andrew still wanted to have CKT, so we ordered from another stall nearby to satisfy his cravings..Sigh, guess the famous CKT is famous for a reason; this stall's version paled in comparison to the famous one. I rest my case..
The prawn fritters stall is at the same row as the famous CKT stall while the asam laksa stall is opposite it at Lorong Selamat.

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Wah. Everything looks so fat and juicy. I must try the asam laksa next time I'm there.

16 May, 2007  
Blogger Coketai said...

I do agree that Lorong Selamat is no more a favorite eating place for the local, may be it only attract tourist because of their name. If I do recall, it have been a decade since the last time I dine that. The SIAM Laksa is worth trying.

LY.Tai

16 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

lyrical lemongrass: ya, you should. Tasted different from those i've tried before..

coketai: i guess so..it's always packed with tourists. wow, a decade..that's real long. siam laksa does taste different, do try it :)

16 May, 2007  
Blogger Precious Pea said...

Aiyooo...just look at that big piece of fish on the assam laksa! And the juicy prawns. :( Sob sob I wanna go Penang lerrr!

16 May, 2007  
Blogger MeiyeN said...

errr then should i come here when i drop by penang next month?

16 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

precious pea: oooppps! sorry to make you feel that way! ;)

meiyen: sure, if you have the time.. the CKT is still good (just overpriced and long wait), else you can always try this asam laksa and prawn fritters for a change..

17 May, 2007  
Blogger boo_licious said...

the asam laksa is across the road rite? I must admit I love the CKT here but then it has been ages since I ate here.

17 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

yup, the one across the road..CKT is nice, but the queue is sooo sooo looonggg

17 May, 2007  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

Oh, how I miss Penang lobak & prawn fritters.

17 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

not making any trip back soon tummythoz?

18 May, 2007  
Blogger Xiu Long Bao said...

i only heard dat lorong selamat got one super yummy char kuey tiao.

18 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

that's rite xiulongbao :)..but theres other yummy stuff there too!

18 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home