Monday, April 14, 2008

Pan Heong Restoran, Batu Caves

Think I should take a break from Penang before my KL readers gets all pissy with me..
Ok, maybe I'm just exaggerating, but I'd love to post about this earlier, hence...kakaka

Gary and Candy needed to be over at Batu Caves last saturday and they asked if I'll like to have the famous Sang Har Meen at Batu Caves. I recalled reading Precious Pea and Boolicious blogging about some famous fresh prawns noodles in Batu Caves, bet this is the one ;)

The 4 of us were there at 12 noon, Pan Heong was already pack with customers..
Luckily there's one vacant table :)

After a rather long wait, we were presented with this..
The Sang Har Meen (RM35)..
The aroma of the noodles were intoxicating but nothing beats a mouthful of it..

The gravy was extremely flavourful; the egg sauce cooked with wine and prawn roe was so sinful, yet we slurped up every drop of it. And the prawns were so fresh and sweet; the flesh were very springy, I enjoyed sinking my teeth into it.hehe. Was glad that the Sang Har Meen in Pan Heong is served with flat noodles (hor fun) as it complemented the sauce and prawns very well. This is top notch, the best I've tried so far; a must order. Ahhh, am still craving for it now even as I'm writing this...

Next was the steamed fish (RM19)..The fresh water fish was no doubt fresh, but was a tad strong on the 'mud' taste. The sauce was rather diluted too, it was cooked ala teow cheow with herbal style.. Didn't really enhanced the flavours of the fish though..
The kao yuk bee hoon(RM14.50).. I am a fan of kao yuk cooked in such method..braised until it's soft and melts in the mouth. The meat was wonderfully marinated and though the bee hoon was a tad dry, I still enjoyed this dish tremendously.

The herbal chicken(RM16)..
From afar, I thought we were served with roasted chicken. Once it was placed on our table, it's more like roasted chicken in soup. Nonetheless, all of us took a sip of the soup and it was rather rich and herbally. Rather different from the usual herbal chicken as the soup was not thickened with starch, hence we were able to just drink the soup. I thought it was pretty good; but Daniel really liked this dish.

Total bill was RM97.80. Very reasonable; I'll definitely be back for more of those slurpilicious Sang Har Meen!
Pan Heong Restoran is located at No 2, Jln Medan Batu Caves 2, Batu Caves, Selangor. Tel : 03-6187 7430. Business hours: 8 am- 3:30pm.
I've also took a picture of the map from their name card for those who are keen to try it..enjoy!

Labels: , , , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Precious Pea said...

I went 2 Fridays ago and it was closed and i was looking forward for the sang har hor fun. Sigh.

U should try the porridge too. I would love to go again to try the kau yuk mee hoon. So sinful.

15 April, 2008  
Blogger Precious Pea said...

BTW, will i be seeing you next Tues together with Tummythoz?

15 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

pea: yeah, i noticed quite a number of tables having porridge too. figured its popular there. will try it another time :). yes, tummythoz and i are joining, you didnt get the email i sent? do include us :)

15 April, 2008  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

can we do a food gathering here????

15 April, 2008  
Blogger Hazza said...

Looks like a really rich and fattenning meal! Never seen kau yuk cooked with anything else, but its a good idea and looks delicious. Unfortunatley, since I got more health conscious, I have not had kau yuk for over 10 years!

15 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

joe: sure..if the rest can lead the way. i'm rather lost there..hehe

hazza: extremely rich and fattening indeed, but so delicious.. aiyo, you make me feel so guilty with the kao yuk bee hoon :p

15 April, 2008  
Blogger 古墓街第7号當鋪 said...

Zomg! herbal chicken looks so nicE. Long time didn't try it already since i came to UK here...

16 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SC, next time you're going, call me!

16 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

jeromefo: hi there! aint there any herbal chicken in UK? chinatown? else, you can always try cooking it :p

jungle jerry: yessiree!!! (ps: very soon! hehehe)

16 April, 2008  
Blogger Simon Seow said...

The Sang Har Mee, looks different from Soo Kee. Thick sauce I like.

Got map. Yeah. Now the problem is looking for someone willing to travel there with me :p

16 April, 2008  
Blogger Jun said...

is the kao yuk bee hoon something new? i dun remember this dish thr.. then again, that was when i was still in high school ;p

16 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

simon: i might be going with jungle jerry next week, wanna join? :)

jun: erm, am not sure wor..this was my first time there :)

16 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to try the sang har meen. Looks so gooey thick with egg and the prawns.. wah~

17 April, 2008  
Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

the sang har mein is so awesomely good!

17 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SC, bring me bring me when you go next time. Haven't really tasted a Sang Har Meen that's worth remembering. And I am a kao yuk lover. A passionate one at that.

17 April, 2008  
Blogger JOjo said...

OH my, i wan a taste of the sang har mee too~

17 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

durianberry: you should..it ultra delish!

bigboysoven: this one especially :)

abner: ok ok..when you have more time to spare..we go. after you bring me for the curry mee first..kakaka

jojo: yeah, am hungry thinking of it..sigh..

17 April, 2008  
Blogger zewt said...

goooooood... there is a map... goooooood....

17 April, 2008  
Blogger Simon Seow said...

What date next week?

17 April, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

zewt: guess you'll be popping over soon? :)

simon: am waiting for jungle jerry..he's now in HK..will pop you an email once i can confirm on the date? :)

17 April, 2008  
Blogger Simon Seow said...

Arigatou ;)

17 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home