Sunday, February 17, 2008

Making Jiao Zhi (Chinese dumplings)

It's still CNY and I wanted to do some festive cooking..
I thought of steamboat, but it's just a couple of us, I decided to make jiao zi instead.
Every year, I've read about China chinese cooking jiao zi for their CNY dinners. Looks pretty good; making it from scratch with all the raw materials seems enticing..
Preparing the filling was easy; just mix your choice of meat with veg and seasoning. I mixed the mince meat with mince garlic and ginger, chopped onions and spring onions. Marinade with oyster sauce, sesame oil, pepper, chinese cooking wine and light soy sauce.

I had more issue with the dough though..I think I added too much water while I was kneading the dough..It got real sticky, but was ok after I let it sit for about 40 mins.And we started making dumpling skins...I must say it's rather therapeutic making dumpling skins; very comforting indeed. hehe. And it's lovely making it with friends or close ones, just yakking away while placing the filling and folding the dumpling skins; laughing at the awkward looking dumplings we've made :)
Cook the dumplings in boiling soup ( mine was chicken stock with sesame oil and pepper)..And tahdah! Ok la for my first try at making jiao zi..At least it looks like jiao zi..hahaha..Other than the slightly thick skin, it was passable.
Think I will make this again quite soon :)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

hey! hope you will bring some of this this coming saturday nite 23rd potluck!

18 February, 2008  
Blogger Precious Pea said...

Hahah..i actually tot of doing this but no time yet. I would like to have mine panfried.

18 February, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

bigboys: there's potluck this sat? whereabouts?

pea: yeah, my initial plan was to have fried half and boiled half..but it took so much time, we just dunk everything in and boil! hahaha

18 February, 2008  
Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

Our place this sat night!, sms me 012 3021269

19 February, 2008  
Blogger Jason said...

I can help to mix the filling and wrap but I'm clueless how to make the skin.

19 February, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe... You're doing it again? This time invite me lar, I help you eat, uhm, make it. Ahem. ;)

19 February, 2008  
Blogger sc said...

bigboysoven: this sat? aiks..not sure can make it or not... will sms you. thanks for the invite :)

jason: not that hard to make the skin..just roll the dough and wahlah..haha

kenny: no lar, just a couple of us ma..and first time jiaozis are not that good..trust me..haha

19 February, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home