Thursday, September 06, 2007

Umaiya II, Damansara Utama

Tell me it's just that one time..
Else I'll be sorely disappointed..
Since Umaiya opened a branch in Uptown and we were nearby, we decided to pop over..
Interior decor was rather cozy, comfortable ambiance for a meal..We were famished, but we took rather long to choose what to have for lunch..
SL decided to have Fried Rice Set with fried Kushiyaki. The fried rice looks good, the colouring looks like it has lots of wok hei. But alas, dont judge a book by it's cover..the fried rice, no doubt, had good wok hei, it was also heavily laced with soy sauce and salt. SL could not even finish her bowl of rice..
Her order also consists of 2 large skewers of fried kushiyaki..This is basically skewered chunks of meat and seafood, battered and deep fried..I took a bite of it, it was ok. But for SL who had to finished the 2 skewers, she said it was very salty..
I ordered the Umaiya Special Set as I wanted to try a bit of everything..There were 6 items in my order. I had the soba (buckwheat noodles) which tasted pretty good. The noodles were springy and the sauce was just nice.
I could not wait to dig into the sashimi as it looks mouthwatering.. Thickly cut slices of sashimi, everything tasted wonderful. Would have tasted better if it was more chilled..The pan fried salmon was rather ordinary; again, skewed towards the salty side.
The cubed tuna was served in a martini glass....Topped with blanched, sliced ladies finger and tossed with a light sauce, I find this dish just, mediocre.
Luckily, the salad; with it's tangy dressing, fresh, crispy vegetables and sweet itako (baby octopus) tasted delightful..
The last of my 6 dish was some fried stuff which I cant even recall it's name. One word. Salty. SF had Sashimi Udon Set..
As per the name, she had Udon..served with lots of sliced mushrooms..The soup base was fine, not salty at all..
And of course, her sashimi..More selections compared to mine; she too, would have preferred it to be more chilled..Total bill was RM109
So tell me, it's just this one time I tried, that the food in Umaiya is salty. Right? Have you tried? Should I return again (maybe just for the sashimi)? Oh by the way, their toilet is not very 'short people' friendly. Their mirror was placed way too high, short people (no I'm not a midget and stop laughing!) like me cant use the mirror (yes, it's their interior design..but could have just have it lowered a lil..)..phooey
Umaiya II is located at 49G, 49A & 47A, Jalan SS21/37, Damansara Utama, 47400 PJ. Tel: 03-77264410

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Christina Kim said...

I have tasted salty salmon before in one Jap restaurant (can't remember where); it's like dipped in salt!
So disappointing...and I liked salmon too:(

Anyway, your pics really look great:D

07 September, 2007  
Blogger Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I like salt. But maybe yours was overdoused, huh? I've only eaten the sashimi in Umai-ya (a different outlet), and I thought it was pretty good.

07 September, 2007  
Blogger backStreetGluttons said...

may have something to do with lack of sake ! goes well with salt !hahaha

07 September, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

christy: welcome! haha..i see you have the same experience as me..so very disappointing eh?
do pop by often! :)

lyrical lemongrass: yes, i recalled your tolerance for salt is much higher ;). their sashimi is good, just that a lil bit colder would be perfect..hehe

team bsg: if you guys buy me the sake, bet it'll taste better..haahaa

07 September, 2007  
Blogger MeiyeN said...

ewww... salty japanese food? definitely a no-no to me! hmmm unfortunately i have not been here.. so i can't really tell you :)

08 September, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eh the price is quite reasonable hor.. but maybe have to request the kitchen to keep it less salty

08 September, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

meiyen: let's just hope it's this one time it's salty...

ee chian: price is fine, like most of the jap restaurants...yeah, will do that if i do go back there again..

08 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sashimis were pretty thick.

10 September, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

yes it was jason..quite good too :)

11 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tried the wkend buffet. its only 45++ all you can eat. dragon maki was awesome

05 April, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home