Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Maju Palace@Maju Junction, KL

I was slightly biased when I went to Maju Palace for the first time last year for dimsum. The word halal and dimsum just don't gel together. But my colleague was craving for dimsum, and since we were at Maju Junction, we decided to pop in.. Never regretted that decision, in fact, we have been returning for their dimsum many times now :-)
Sometime back, I had the honour to buy my boss and colleague lunch, and I decided we should have some dimsum here..
We had har gau

the prawns were huge, fresh, very sweet and springy..one of the better har gaus in KV..On my previous visits, the chef lightly sauteed the prawns with garlic before wrapping it for steaming..But somehow, this har gau dont have the garlicky taste..*scratches head*

Am never a fan of siew mai as most of the siew mais were just too porky for me..Maju Palace's halal version is delightful though, the chef layered the siew mais; bottom was the prawn, next layer filled with mince fish+chicken, small chunk of scallop in the centre, filled it with more mince and top it with a small slice of fish/scallop...such effort to a dainty thing like this :-)
What is char siew bao without the char siew? Again, wonder of all wonders, this halal version tasted very much like it's non halal counterpart..In fact, my boss asked me repeatedly if this was pork as the chicken char siew really tasted like pork. The bao was fluffy and the filling was warm and tasty..comfort food indeed..
I could never stand eating char siew sou (bbq chicken puff) as I always find the combination of char siew and pastry too sweet for my liking.. Guess the chef had the same issue as me? Coz I actually enjoyed this char siew sou, as he added a savoury twist to it; lots of grated cheese..hehe..finally, a char siew sou that i devour with relish!
Cant remember the name of this dimsum, was it keichoy gao? We find this good too, had a very generous amount of veggies mixed with the mince chicken and prawns, and it was rather juicy when we bite into these babies :)
The panfried chee cheong fun (rice sheet roll) was ok,need to eat it when it's warm though..
My boss wanted to have her favourite, malai gou aka steamed cake aka thousand layer cake (that's the fancy name they use in Maju Palace)..hehe Very soft, kinda melt in your mouth feel. This was pretty nice after so many savoury dimsums..Noticed the custard layers? This was nice as the cake had some moist and density from the custard..
The fried carrot cake was very normal..dont need to order this..
My colleague who's a big eater, felt that the dimsum we ordered were insufficient, so I ordered a plate of fried glass noodles and vermicelli with seafood. Took a picture of my portion (waitress was way too fast dividing our portions..)This is really good, wok hei was there, heaps of fresh ingredients and for RM18 (small serve, good to share for 2-3 people), we think it's real good deal..
Though I dont get to eat any steam spare ribs (cheng pai guat) and woo kok at Maju Palace, the rest of the dimsum is worth the visit here. The total bill was RM75.50 (after 10% disc). Was told that there's 30% disc on weekends..
What Julianne thinks?
Scrumptious and comforting
Maju Palace is located at Suite 5.6 to 5.11, Level 5, Maju Junction Mall, 1001, Jalan Sultan Ismail. Tel: 03-26918822.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lurve malai kou! Ur post makes me feel hungry for dimsum...

09 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

haha xiu long bao, you're like my boss.. she was so excited when she saw the malai kou :)

09 May, 2007  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

Your wicked description of the siew mai's layered texture makes me salivate uncontrollably.

09 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. I'd like to join the bandwagon of hungry people. It's tea time now and seeing your food shots ... haiyah .... beh tah han liao !!!!!!

09 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

tummythoz: ooopps! that was not done purposely ;). i was rather amazed with the layers when i first sink my teeth into the siew mai months back and thot of sharing my experience ma..haha

timothy: oh dear! go get yourself some tea snacks fast! ;p

09 May, 2007  
Blogger tankiasu said...

Not easy to find nice halal dim sums, might try this one out.

09 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lurve dim sum, been ages I had my last dim sum fix. But the pan fried chee cheong fun looks funny... like bubbles on it?

09 May, 2007  
Blogger zewt said...

indeed... how can halal and dim sum come together? dim sum is one thing i plan to feast on after my vege days... perhaps i should give this place a chance eh? :)

09 May, 2007  
Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

come n find me pls if u visiting dis place on wkdays..haha my office opposite the road.. err their dim sum is decent..they operate on a more fusion chinese style..so u get a bit more fancy

10 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

tankiasu: yeah, not that many places serve halal dimsum. so far, for the halal ones i've tried, this one is one of the better ones..

jason: wah, you're staying in dimsum heaven and you have not been eating it? hehe..i didnt even notice the bubbles on it..

zewt: if you dont mind not having pork in your dimsum (some of my frens do), yup, this place is pretty good :)

joe: you working near there? sure, sure, what's your email? my email is food4thot@time.net.my, we can arrange frm there..ok la, not very fancy, but i really do enjoy some of the stuff they serve..

10 May, 2007  
Blogger tankiasu said...

Hey joe and sc, let's plan a lunch get-together for dim sum here. I can join u guys too. ;-)

10 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

really tankiasu? that's good..will pop you an email soon to arrange...

10 May, 2007  
Blogger MeiyeN said...

west lake garden @ sunway hotel is da only halal dimsum place i ever been to! now, i know where to go da next time we want some healthy dimsum.. thank you! :D

10 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

welcome meiyen :). how's the dimsum in west lake garden?

10 May, 2007  
Blogger Rasa Malaysia said...

Wah, that "chap" from the Char Siu So was dripping out...so juicylicious and sinful. Hehe.

10 May, 2007  
Blogger Tummythoz said...

Oh, do ask me along too on weekdays. Call me pls, don't email.

10 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

RM: yeah, must agree that it was pretty sinful ;p

tummythoz: oh, need to email you to get your phone number ma..then we plan frm there :)

10 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SC: What to do, all makan kakis lazy to get up early on Sunday -_-"

10 May, 2007  
Blogger Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Did someone say makan?

10 May, 2007  
Blogger wmw said...

Wow! Pretty good review of the dim sum at this place for halal dim sum. Would sure like to check it out! Thanks for the heads up!

11 May, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

jason: you sure it's your makan kakis, not you ar? ;p

lyrical lemongrass: yes, Makan! hehe.. wanna join?

wmw: most welcome! :). pretty decent for a halal joint i must say..

11 May, 2007  
Blogger MeiyeN said...

good, we actually went for da buffet spread 2 years ago :)

11 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home