Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Klimt's Restaurant, Damansara Heights

Of all the years I went pass Klimt's, I never thought of trying their food.. The only thing that came across my mind was Kermit (the frog).. Somehow, looking at their signboard "Klimt's" reminds me of Kermit. Yes, I'm weird.
Anyways, it was near my birthday and the girls gave me an impromptu invitation for dinner to Klimt's as I did say I wanted to try it some time ago (my apologies for the photos, as it was an impromptu dinner, i did not bring my camera, hence we used SF's phone.. thanks SF!).
Klimt's serves Austrian food and being very hungry, all of us quickly ordered. We had baked escargots for starters, served with warm bread.....The escargots were just perfect, baked with generous dose of chopped walnut, garlic, melted mozzarella, herbs..have it with their bread and mopping up the sauce with it.. this is so tasty! I may say that this is one of the best escargot i have tasted..We tried the Hungarian goulash soup too while waiting for our mains..This soup is so thick and full of goodness, its more like having beef stew..Klimt's version is wicked, with loads of tender beef cubes, potatoes and mushrooms..heavily infused with aromatic herbs. Slightly strong in flavour, but it gets better with every mouthful..:). The mains were served quite promptly after we polished our the soup and starters..P's smokehouse platter came first..This is a plate of mixed sausages served with pickles, potatoes, and some fried thingy (somewhat like fish+chicken nugget). The platter was ok to me..some of the sausages were just too salty for my liking.
Amy wanted to have Klimt's fettuccine with smoke salmon....Hers was yummy, the pasta was cooked al-dente, the sauce was creamy but light and the smoke salmon just go so well with the pasta. Unlike most restaurants that serves tiny chopped pieces of salmon in their pasta, Klimt's was very generous with their serving with 3 thick slices of smoke salmon. Oh, they add in loads of mushrooms too.. which was terrific! :).
The very safe SL opted for chicken paella...Does this looked like fried rice? Kinda ya? The rice was fragrant, the subtle saffron flavour was in the paella. Though this was a large serving with lots of chicken, veg and herbs, I was not particularly impress with dish. I have tasted better paella.
My stuff trout "Johann Strauss" was so delicate when served.. I was rather reluctant to eat it..:p It was beautifully baked, the skin was crunchy, but the flesh, juicy and sweet. The trout was stuffed with salmon, wild mushrooms and spinach..Eaten with dill cream sauce(had some chopped walnuts in it too, i suspect), the burst of flavours are so harmonious..complements each other so well :). I was glad that the cream sauce was light so I could stuff myself with the fish! hahahaha
SF's neck got rather long after waiting for her main, which was served last ;p. The lamb shank was humongous, generously smothered with mushroom sauce.. The sauce was unique though, am not sure what's the 'extra' stuff they added, but sure taste good. Again, its very strong in flavour, slightly tangy, herby, spicy and creamy all rolled in one.. Have it with the ultra tender lamb shank, this main can satisfy any hungry man's appetite. I didnt like the sides of spatzle noodles though.
We were so stuffed that we could not have any dessert :(. Was told that they serve fantabulous strudels, well, guess that will be another time.
What Julianne thinks?
Delectable and unassuming
Klimt's is located at No 6-5, Jalan Batai, Damansara heights, KL. Tel: 03-2521978. Its neatly tucked at a quiet row of shops facing the LDP. Very near to John Hancock, KPMG building. I was told that this place used to be cheaper, we were paying 40-60% more now :(. Mains starts around RM30.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Xiu Long Bao said...

escargots? eww, i dare not put a snail into my mouth though i heard dat it is tasty!

18 January, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

but xiu long bao, this is really yummy! you shud try! anyways, they extract the meat to bake, so u dont see the shell and all.. maybe that will help u swallow better? ;)

18 January, 2007  
Blogger boo_licious said...

It's been ages since I ate at Klimt's. I love their escargots and they used to have this yummy salmon strudel (it was wrapped in filo pastry). The austrian guy who owns the place always closes up for his holidays for abt a mth as that's when he goes back to Austria.

20 January, 2007  
Blogger sc said...

hey boo.. man, the salmon strudel sounds good! nope, dont think i saw it in the menu anymore.. so sad that i didnt get to try it :(

22 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home