Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Yuen Fatt mooncake

Since mooncake festival is around the corner, might as well post something on mooncakes right? :p
I don't recall when Yuen Fatt mooncake became such a big hit in my hometown, but I would guess maybe a good 15 years ago? Every year, when Mooncake festival looms close, the Yuen Fatt mooncake craze would usually reach to an euphoria in my hometown. People literally fight ( yup, down to fisticuffs and all) just to get the once-a-year-die-die-must-buy Shanghai mooncakes. This year was no exception and customers come from Singapore, KL and various part of Johor just to get their hands on the delectable mooncakes..
Aiyo, just shanghai mooncakes wat, what so special about it?? Yup, I thought the same too, but guess I get to eat it every year, I do take for granted this unique mooncake from Kluang....
Yuen Fatt shanghai mooncake is oblong shape (like a lean rugby ball to me) and the skin is somewhat like butter cookies. The near-melt-in-your-mouth pastry wraps the traditional mooncake ingredients such as lotus paste, tau sar aka redbean paste and lotus paste with single or double yolk(nothing fancy like the flavours you find in KL). I find the paste just right, not sweet at all and complements well with the skin. My favourite is the single yolk, and the mooncake looks really cute as the centre bulges up with the yolk in there :p. Their mooncakes are handmade, baked daily and is without perservatives, which means you need to makan everything within 4-5 days.
My friends in KL absolutely enjoy this tasty morsel, mostly because of it's great taste, unique texture and shape. Plus the fact you have to wait for a whole year to the next mooncake fest... :)
What Julianne thinks?
Unconventional and wonderful
Yuen Fatt is located at 39 (Ground Floor), Jalan Haji Manap Nordin, Kluang Baru, Kluang. Do ask the locals for location coz its a tad difficult for me to explain :p. Price RM13-19 and RM16-RM22(for the conventional mooncake). Oh, btw, even if you are in Kluang now, dont need to look for their shanghai mooncakes.. I believe they have stopped producing it already.. try it next year..

2 Comments:

Blogger Babe_KL said...

wow sounds delish, i wonder when they gonna make it big and start selling in kl like yong sheng

04 October, 2006  
Blogger sc said...

I doubt they will.. they guard this family business very tightly :). there are years when they stop baking mooncakes 1 week before the fest altough customers keep asking them to bake... quite arrogant...

04 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home