Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Restoran Chan Kee (Hakka)

I was introduced to Chan Kee by gary and candy a few years back. At that time, I was amazed that there is another 'kampung' in the midst of Bandar Utama which I never knew existed..
I was told that Chan Kee has been in operation for over 30 years and it has relocated a couple of times.Maybe coz they're hakkas and hakkas are nomads :p. Hopefully they would be in Sunwaymas for a while....
Chan Kee is famous for its steamed freshwater fish. Even their logo is a 'swimming fish'. I have tried their steamed fish, which was just average for me. The sauce was too heavy on the garlic and ginger that at times, I cant even savour the sweetness of the fish.
That aside, Chan Kee do serve some excellent dishes. I guess the purported Hakka dishes? I wanted to have the preserve veg with meat (mui choi mun kow yuk) which is a fantastic dish in Chan Kee. I was sorely dissappointed that they did not prepare this dish when I went with cc some time back. :(
Nevermind that, the ham yu fah lam pou (salted fish with sliced pork) is also a fantabulous dish, which compensated for the mui choi dish. Chan Kee's version is very fragrant, the tender sliced pork stir fried to perfection with salted fish, cuttle fish, dried chillies, onions and garlic. To die for. ;p
Another favourite is the kangkung belacan(ma lai fung kwong). You can taste the wok hei in this dish, the kangkung, fresh and crunchy, and the tasty belacan, chilli and garlic does wonders for this dish. One of the best kang kung belacan I had in PJ. Still, their QC does go awry now and then...
I rarely take chicken in Chan Kee, but since cc dont take fish, we ordered the boxing chicken as recommended by the waitress. Chan Kee's version is a lil different from the usual boxing chicken, as they use both the chicken drummets and wings. The sauce tasted very similar to the pai guat wong (sweet sour ribs) sauce, whcih is appetizing to eat it with white rice. I've never seen cc gobbled down his food that fast and he had 2 bowls of large rice.. he must have enjoyed the dishes there :)
What Julianne thinks?
Hearty and lip smacking
Chan Kee is located at 23-1,25-1,27-1 Jalan PJU 1/3B, Sunwaymas Commercial Centre. Tel:03-7880 4230. 2 ways to get there. From Aman Suria (the part facing Tropicana), turn at Kayu Nasi Kandar. Drive straight, turn left/ Follow the road and turn left again. Drive straight till u see "Jin Shan Cheng" restaurant on your right, turn right. Chan Kee is at the end of the road. Alternatively, drive from BU 12 or 11 (long road), drive pass traffic lights, see Jin Shan Cheng, turn left. Drive straight till end of the road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home