Monday, August 21, 2006

The Wharf Steamboat

Ok Ok, I think I had too much yadda sessions for last week, let me get back to food again..
I came to The Wharf Steamboat for a few times already, after alicia introduced it to me some time back. If you are rather familiar with Bandar Manjarala, you should know that there is a row of steamboat shops there (like those in Cheras). Usually when I come over here for steamboat, we'll drive straight in without even giving The Wharf a look although this is the first shop we'll pass through before we reach the rest of the shops.
So, I was rather sceptical when Alicia brought me there. I mean, this place is not crowded like the rest, they dont have that many staff..Is she sure?? When Alicia told me that the ching thong (clear soup) is fantastic here, I am totally cynical already. How nice can it be? I mean, the ching thong we usually get is just boiled water with some chicken/pig bones and knorrs cubes thrown in. How fantastic can it get??
We ordered the "ying yong" aka, clear soup and tomyam. While waiting, we had BBQ chicken wings, which I must say, taste pretty good and is a great filler while waiting for your food to cook (sorry the pix looks a lil dark.. I took w/o flash ;p)


The ingredients was brought to our table, the usual condiments of seafood, fishballs, porkballs, veg, noodles, eggs, etc were there. We dumped in most of the stuff and waited for it to cook. And waited and waited..
Finally cooked, I ladle a bowl of soup and took a sip... OMG!! This is the best clear soup I have tasted for steamboat. Ever. The soup is sweet, thick with whatever ingredients that I could not make out and most importantly, the chopped 'dong guai'. The first sip was ok, but after that, you just cant stop. The soup gets better as you add more things to boil. Yummy!
Sad to say, the tomyam was too sour for my liking. Word of advise, do remove the sliced lime when you start to boil the tomyam.. The tomyam gets bitter after a while from the lime rind. Actually, forget bout the tomyam, just ask for clear soup!! kekekkeke
What Julia thinks?
Wholesome, fulfilling and uncomplicated.
The Wharf charges RM12.80 per head, exlcuding drinks and add ons. Most unfortunately, I did not managed to get the address, its on the main road to turn in to Chef Ken's Cafe, huge corner shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home