Thursday, June 22, 2006

Yik Kee restaurant, TTDI

Was supposed to post this before my trip.. guess didnt have the time till now ;p
Its the month of world cup and dragon, cc, eric and chia wanted to have a quick dinner before the game. We decided to have dinner in Taman Tun (TTDI) and to try out Yik Kee restaurant. I was told that this Yik Kee is a branch from the famous Yik Kee in Karak, which I have never tried before either. This branch was opened maybe 6 months back, with warm, clean decor. Very chinese, but must say that its rather small.
We quickly skimmed through the menu, not wanting to waste precious time.. A quick glance at the first few pages of the menu consists of more expensive dishes, like sharks fin, abalone and scallops cooked in various styles. Heh? I thought Yik Kee serves wholesome homecook food? We did find some more average priced dishes and we settleed for salted chicken, braised pork with black wood fungus, stir fried 4 angle beans and mah por tou foo.
The braised pork (salted chicken and four angled beans on the left and right respectively)
The dishes took rather long to come, and we noticed that the servings was not that generous :(. The first dish that came was the salted chicken. Eric said that his grandma can do better than this. I have no further comments.
Next came the veg and the tau foo. I must say that I enjoyed the veg tremendously. The beans were stir fried with some dried shrimp and chllies. Not over cooked, it had the right crunch and freshness to it that I find extremely good. Not so for the tau foo though. I find it rather bland. The last dish that finally came (yea, we waited long for this babe) was the braised pork. Its pretty good actually, the pork was tender, and the sauce thick and flavourful. Only gripe? Portion was a tad small.
The price range was ok, most of the dishes costs between RM15 to RM30. Still, its just an average restaurant to me, I doubt I will be back again.
Yik Kee is located at the same row as Devi's corner. Turn left at the IBM traffic light (IBM is on your right), you will see Yik Kee in the middle of 2 rows of shops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home